Tachometer on GS450GA Suzukimatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer on GS450GA Suzukimatic

Kinda new to the forum, but I enjoy tinkering and all sorts of mechanical projects. That said, I've never had to install a tach on something that didn't come with it. Does anyone have experience with the automatics and installing a tach, or maybe installing a tach on something else with aftermarket parts?

I was thinking something that picks up signal from the ignition system, but again I don't have much experience in this are so I am a little wary. Thank you to those that reply in advance.

Yes, do be wary. Ebay and all that have tachs that purport to suit all in their titles but I do believe If you are looking at electronic ones, you need to know the "ratio"- they are NOT universal so put 'Suzuki" in your search..

For your 450, I believe it'd be 1:4.

..from my "stuff" I have:
    (Honda 750cc & 1000cc 1:4 Ratio)
    (Honda up to 550cc 1:7 Ratio)
    (Kawasaki 1:5 Ratio)
    (Suzuki 1:4 Ratio)
    (Yamaha 1:5 Ratio)

That said, personally, I think a clock is handier than a tach,because I can hear an engine.
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-01-2022, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      Yes, do be wary. Ebay and all that have tachs that purport to suit all in their titles but I do believe If you are looking at electronic ones, you need to know the "ratio"- they are NOT universal so put 'Suzuki" in your search..

For your 450, I believe it'd be 1:4.

..from my "stuff" I have:
      (Honda 750cc & 1000cc 1:4 Ratio)
      (Honda up to 550cc 1:7 Ratio)
      (Kawasaki 1:5 Ratio)
      (Suzuki 1:4 Ratio)
      (Yamaha 1:5 Ratio)

That said, personally, I think a clock is handier than a tach,because I can hear an engine.
      I appreciate the tip on the ratios and I'll look for something that picks on spark noise since, as far as I know, there is no place for a tach cable on the GAs. As it is I can go off of the sound and speed, but just for the aesthetic of a needle tracking RPMs while riding is nice. Having the dummy lights is also nice in their own respect also.

Comment

I think they commonly tap the primary coil , (not the secondary) and then to move the needle according to those pulses, they take a "+" and ground from the general power supply to the gauges ...the colour code of one you buy likely won't match Suzuki's but per above, I don't see it's too difficult...

but a primitive type may use a wrapping of wire around a plug wire (the secondary) like the ol' ignitition strobes did....

Oh, and there'll be a light...these might just be annoying at night...leds these days and I'd be ready to mod if they turn out to be overbright...they are a bit of work to dim as leds are ON/OFF but there are several ways to do it including just some tape or whatever....
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-04-2022, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X