No announcement yet.

So I bought a second one..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float needle probably has some crap in it. I've seen and felt the same thing on mine when the needles stuck open. It works great up top but dies when you wind down.

Was it leaking at all when you stopped ?

You can take the bowls off and the floats and needles and seats... while its on the bike on the side of the road in pitch black with only the light coming from your blinkers to see what your doing with cars wizing by. Changing the screws to alen bolts does help.
    Last edited by Mekanix; 09-12-2012, 09:12 PM.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
      Float needle probably has some crap in it. I've seen and felt the same thing on mine when the needles stuck open. It works great up top but dies when you wind down.

Was it leaking at all when you stopped ?

You can take the bowls off and the floats and needles and seats... while its on the bike on the side of the road in pitch black with only the light coming from your blinkers to see what your doing with cars wizing by. Changing the screws to alen bolts does help.

Not leaking and no smell of gas afaik. I think I'm going to buy new needles because I did not replace them before. They do have a ridge in the rubber part of them.

But I think the problem could come from crap that was in the tank making its way into the carbs again.

Comment

Originally posted by jfman View Post
        Not leaking and no smell of gas afaik. I think I'm going to buy new needles because I did not replace them before. They do have a ridge in the rubber part of them.

But I think the problem could come from crap that was in the tank making its way into the carbs again.
        I sandblasted my tank and got allot of grit coming through the petcock filter.

Instead of installing another filter I used a long piece of tubing from the petcock around the back carb boot and then to the middle of the carbs.

That let all the grit and sediment settle in the loop on the bottom instead of making it to the carbs and didn't restrict flow.

Might help to try something similar until you get the crap out.

I wonder what finally caused it to stop, when will you get back to it ?
        Stephen.
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

It quit as I was riding it. It died on the throttle... very odd. I was still going like 20mph so I used compression to get her started again. It caught back up only to bog again to a complete stop.

To be honest I am not sure if the issue is flooding or starving..... I really dont know. I'll have to inspect the plugs when I get to it...

The fuel line loop is a good idea, I'll have to try that.

If it's flooded on the right side I will have to think about the petcock vaccum line as well.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2012, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I checked on this bike the other day and the fuell has leaked into the bottom end...

New petock has been bought(40$ ebay) and will have to drain the oil, pull the plugs before i can ride it again.

Comment

Sounds like you found the problem

These bikes definitely do bog out when they flood even at WOT.
              Stephen.
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
              X