Wont start, has spark, getting fuel ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wont start, has spark, getting fuel ???

So a month or so ago my bike was running not perfect and I kinda ignored it. Then my blinkers stopped working, then my tail light stopped and the head light too. I had to recharge my battery 2x this summer. It was tough to start sometimes and then one day I ran it out of gas one block from home. I filled it up but not all the way, and it wont start. (As I write this I wanna go get gas but let me finish...) Anyways, I then left town for a long time and just got back to figuring out the problem. heres where im at:

I reset my timing, which was off. And inspected the spark generator mechanism. All looked fine.

I pulled plugs and grounded them on the engine one at a time to check for spark and its there when I push the start button.

Cleaned out the carbs thinking I could have sucked some crud from the tank in there from sucking out the last drop of gas.

I buttoned it all back up and still no cumbustion! Is my strator screwed?

Im off to get some fuel.

How well did you clean the carbs - full strip and dip?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      How well did you clean the carbs - full strip and dip?
      Yes. I didnt do the o-rings because I did them last year.

Filled to the top with fuel and no fire. I will look into it more later this weekend when I have some time. First round of exams on Friday...

So no one seems to think its stator? Could a stator prevent it from starting?

Comment

The stator comes into play AFTER it starts but if it's bad it will cause your battery to not maintain its charge
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          The stator comes into play AFTER it starts but if it's bad it will cause your battery to not maintain its charge
          good to know it wont prevent it from starting.

After trying to start it for a while the plugs diddnt have any fuel on them... So I guess it is a fuel issue. I may have a stator problem any ways considering my blinkers, then my tail light and my extremely dim headlight. Whatever causes this has something to do with charging because my battery wont stay charged and it was new.

Comment

Check the compression.
            1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
            1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper88 View Post
              Check the compression.
              Really? I would have never gone there. I dont have a tool and I dont want to spend $55 on one. Is that the only way to check it?

Comment

When you reset the timing, are you referring to ignition timing or valve timing (chain)?
                If you're off by one tooth it can make a considerable difference in compression. If you don't have compression, it won't pull air/gas through the carbs.
                Have you checked the clearance on the valves recently? If a valve has no clearance, it will be slightly open all the time...
                Easiest way to check all of this is with a compression gauge. I believe you can borrow one from an auto parts store. You pay for the tool, then when you're done--bring it back and get all your money back.
                1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
                1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper88 View Post
                  When you reset the timing, are you referring to ignition timing or valve timing (chain)?
                  Ignition timing. I have not torn into the engine to look at the valves, it seems difficult.

I guess I will borrow a tool from the autostore.

Comment

Sounds like you have 2 things going on, and it doesn't seem likely that they are related since electrical issues have no bearing on whether or not fuel is getting to the plugs.
                    Electrical: have you tested your r/r and stator?
                    Fuel: is your vacuum line from the petcock good?

Comment

You can get a compression tester from Harbor Freight for a lot less than $55. Or tool rental from Autozone works too.

When you put your carbs back in did you hook up the vacuum line from the petcock, or plug the line if running without the tank? Does it start with starter fluid?

On the electrical, check the simple stuff first. I'd check your battery ground and wire connections before I spent money on new parts. A bad ground could cause those symptoms.

Comment

When you put your carbs back in did you hook up the vacuum line from the petcock, or plug the line if running without the tank? Does it start with starter fluid?
                        vacuum line hooked up. Never tried the starter fluid, where do I spray that?

Originally posted by stucknarut View Post
                        On the electrical, check the simple stuff first. I'd check your battery ground and wire connections before I spent money on new parts. A bad ground could cause those symptoms.
                        My bat ground wire is in perfect shape and grounds on a frame tab that was previously used to hold the bracket for the tool kit. It was scraped to bare metal. My turn signals and R/R also ground here.
                        Everyone always says check your grounds but other than rusty or loose connections, how would you know if your ground is no good? All else being equal, is one location better than others?

Comment

You spray one or two shots into the air filter. Be cautious with it.
                          Just use your multimeter set to the buzzer. Touch the two leads together to make sure you hear the buzzer first. Just go from each connection to the battery negative post. Always best to go to the farthest part and move inward.

Comment

Havent gone to get a compression tool or starter fluid yet.

The petcock is fine. With a tank full of gas I can apply suction to the vacuum line and it spits gas. Float bowls fill up with gas when I crank it too.

However, after cranking the starter for a bit, the plugs arent wet. Makes me think its not getting fuel through the carb so I will clean them all out again. Im pretty quick now and there are only 2!

Comment

How are your valve clearances? My 450 started getting hard to start before not starting at all when my clearances got too tight (couldn't fit my smallest feeler gage between the cam and shim).

Comment

Working...
                              X