Crank Seal Behind Ignitor - GS450T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank Seal Behind Ignitor - GS450T

So, where do I find the part number? I've looked thru all the microfiche slides and can't seem to find it. It doesn't show on the fiches I've looked at - crankcase cover, clutch, ignitor, crankshaft, etc.

I've got a leaky seal, and need to get a replacement.

Further, anyone know if this seal can be replaced from the 'outside' or does the clutch cover need to come off and replace the seal from the 'inside'?

Thanks

This from a 81 part fiche -likely the same??????

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

D'oh!

I looked right at the crankshaft fiche, but I 'swapped' the orientation in my mind (thinking that the alternator end was the ignitor end and vice versa) and didn't even notice that seal, item 11.

I'm sure that's it. Thanks!

Kirk

Comment

Yes the seal can come out from that side. Just use screws and pull it out.
        Reinstall with a large socket.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

When you reinstall, use a large deep well socket close to the OD of the seal, but use a long 8mm bolt with a nut and washer through the center of the socket into the crank to gently draw the seal into place. It's easier and far less error-prone than whacking it with a hammer.

Also, make sure you install the seal the right way around. There might be a teensy tiny arrow somewhere on the seal indicating shaft rotation.

I'm not sure about the twins, but on the fours, these seals are supposed to be installed "backwards" (metal side out) so that the shaft rotation matches the seal construction. Many people get this wrong and the seal starts leaking fairly soon.

Again, I'm not sure it applies to the twins, so inspect your new seal carefully for a direction arrow.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Done and done.

Old seal pried out pretty easily. New seal went in perfectly, too. Used a socket that was an exact match, but forgot about drawing it in with a bolt. It tapped in with no issues.

Ran it around the block with no issues, then son borrowed it to ride to work. I'll see tomorrrow morning how it held up on his 50-mile round trip commute.

BTW, yes, there was a clear arrow showing direction of rotation. No issues.

Thanks, all, for the help.

Kirk

Comment

Working...
            X