Motor tear down extra pieces...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor tear down extra pieces...

Found these after reassembly of the case halves. Electrical contacts of some kind...? Not sure where they fell out of maybe the gear position sensor?

Gs300l
    Suzuki
    Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM.

They look like the hard rubber damper blocks that fit in between the cylinder fins.
    They help to dampen fin vibration.
    They may have fallen, and so seem they came from the crankcase halves.

Comment

They look like the parts that go against the cam chain guide called a cushioner.
      Part number 6 in the attached picture. Pretty easy to leave out.

Comment

Hi,

A little bigger picture:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If that is what they are, they are important pieces. Don't start the engine until they are back in place. I used a little engine case sealant to hold them in place when I assembled my engine.
          What are their actual dimensions (in mm if you have a digital caliper).

Comment

Interesting. GS1000 doesn't have those. Glad to hear the mystery has been solved. Nothing worse than putting an engine together and winding up with extra parts.
            Last edited by Nessism; 01-03-2013, 05:03 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you have a buddy building an engine, wait until he's finished assembling it and accidentally leave one piston's worth of the same rings in the original packaging some place he'll find it. Good fun.

Sorry I don't know what your little mystery engine bits are.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                If you have a buddy building an engine, wait until he's finished assembling it and accidentally leave one piston's worth of the same rings in the original packaging some place he'll find it. Good fun.

Sorry I don't know what your little mystery engine bits are.
                Or just one piston circlip.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                  Ooooouuu, now that's devious.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Is there a way to get them in without tearing the motor apart again? Haha

I don't have a digital gauge but they are about 9.5x6.5x6.5 mm
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigthang View Post
                      Is there a way to get them in without tearing the motor apart again? Haha

I don't have a digital gauge but they are about 9.5x6.5x6.5 mm
                      if you can pull out the tensioner blade (No.5 in the diagram) out then yes you can refit them without stripping the whole top end.
                      you will have to remove the cams and chain tensioner to get to it.
                      i dont know much about this model engine so i may be wrong.
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Originally posted by tatu View Post
                        We did something similar at a GoldWing rally a few years ago. One guy trailered his Wing in because it had a dead stator. Another guy was planning on helping him replace it.
                        I know, it doesn't sound like much, but on that model Wing, you have to remove the engine to get to the stator.

Anyway, while the two of them were busy putting things back together somebody (NOT me ) put a couple of spacers on the floor. When the engine was back in place, one guy picked up the spacers and asked the other one "where did these come out of?". "I thought that you took them out." "No, I thought you had them." Before they started taking the engine back out to find where the spacers went, the perpetrator (again, that was NOT me) admitted to putting them on the floor.

Extra nuts, bolts or washers are not usually much of a problem, but spacers are just to specific to leave out.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                          if you can pull out the tensioner blade (No.5 in the diagram) out then yes you can refit them without stripping the whole top end.
                          you will have to remove the cams and chain tensioner to get to it.
                          i dont know much about this model engine so i may be wrong.
                          That engine is a clone of my GPz engine. The top end must come off to remove No. 5. See the pivot point down at the bottom of No. 5? There is one on the other side as well. It fits into a groove in the cases, and is held in place by the cylinder block. Been there, done that.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                            That engine is a clone of my GPz engine. The top end must come off to remove No. 5. See the pivot point down at the bottom of No. 5? There is one on the other side as well. It fits into a groove in the cases, and is held in place by the cylinder block. Been there, done that.
                            bummer, oh well.......it was worth a shot if it saved removing the whole top end
                            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

That engine is a clone of my GPz engine.
                              I am really confused, how can a 299cc parallel twin cylinder DOHC be a clone of a GPz engine. Is it like one half of your four cylinder?

You are correct about having to take the engine apart to replace the missing pieces. The only reason I knew what they were is cause I've got them in the RF900 engine I am working on.

Comment

Working...
                              X