No announcement yet.

Gs500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of questions a) why a rev limiter? b) what gear indicator did you use.

I apologize but I've not read the whole of the thread and perhaps you mentioned it somewhere before.

The build does look very interesting and to your normal very high standards so it will be interesting eyeballing the end result. I've thought about trying one of these 500s myself. Maybe after I get the FZ tamed.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

2 weeks hey? Cool!
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
        A couple of questions a) why a rev limiter? b) what gear indicator did you use.

I apologize but I've not read the whole of the thread and perhaps you mentioned it somewhere before.

The build does look very interesting and to your normal very high standards so it will be interesting eyeballing the end result. I've thought about trying one of these 500s myself. Maybe after I get the FZ tamed.

Cheers,
        Spyug
        Because I bought two on E-bay and have one sitting around. I know these engines don't like the really high revs. Its what destroys the cranks and bearings. Its just something to play with and I might make it a dual stage just to have fun with launch control or use the arduino to control various rev limits for each gear. Just so it kicks in sooner in lower gears to prevent over rev.

For the gear position I've toyed around with a few different things but it looks like I'm going to make it from scratch or use an arduino to drive a seven segment display.

The 7 segment display is available anywhere and you would need 27 diodes and 7 1k ohm resistors to make a simple circuit that would work and not do anything fancy.

Right now I have the arduino controlling the display just to see what I can do. It's set up to start the display counting down from six and turn on each segment in sequence as if its chasing its tail. Then it goes in to the gear position mode and display's 1,2,3,4,5,6 or n for neutral.

I was going to add a few more things to it like, flash if it rev's too high in one gear and if I keep going, it could engage the rev limiter until I drop below a certain RPM. There are lots of options.

I was going to add the time to it as well. So that if you press a button it would show the time in sequence, one number at a time.

Still new to programing. Its been fun though.
        Last edited by Mekanix; 04-26-2013, 12:13 AM.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
          2 weeks hey? Cool!

Yeah I'm hoping to get all the plastic parts striped and sanded tomorrow and get the tank back. After that I can throw some screws in the tank and shake it. Then comes the por15. The inside is ugly. It needs a good cleaning. I'm going to be running a filter on this one and I was thinking of even running a snowmobile fuel pump just to make sure there is enough flow. I just have to tap into the other carb or make a T fitting for the vacuum line.

I'm using the Arduino to control different things so that's going to set me back a while as I cut into the wiring harness.

Still have to pull the head back off and spray paint the block and head and copercoat the head gasket.

Bought a new X ring chain, Still have to install that.

The lower faring still needs some filler before it can be painted.
          Stephen.
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

Other than the Arduino sounds very doable in that time frame.

What else is the Arduino for besides gear position indicator?

sigpic

Comment

So far that's all its for.
              I might use a larger lcd display to show temp, time, voltage, curent, rpm,. I could use it to dim certain lights, datalog, strobe lights, control ignition or security system.

I could use Bluetooth and have it set up for no key ignition. There are so many possibilities.

I could also write code on my phone and upload it to the arduino over Bluetooth or set up buttons on my phone and control things.

I'm using regular cat 5 cable to connect everything to fhe arduino to keep everything low profile and since I'm rnning leds everywhere, I can run them right from the arduino.
              Last edited by Mekanix; 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM.
              Stephen.
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

Cool... so are you gonna call it Tron when you're done?

sigpic

Comment

hmm, not a bad name
                  Stephen.
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

build out the module on an arduino mini, get everything proofed and working right, then do this to it:

casting resin will protect it from the elements, and make for an awesome little project to show off your build. you can cast a heat sink into it if you're worried about heat.

There are some neat RFID or Near Field kits you can buy for a keyless ignition too. I'd check Adafruit.com or sparkfun.com.

just my 2 cents anyway. I've been thinking about doing a stealthy little engine monitoring unit like that for a while now.

Comment

Ok that's pretty damn neat I must say...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MOC View Post
                        build out the module on an arduino mini, get everything proofed and working right, then do this to it:

casting resin will protect it from the elements, and make for an awesome little project to show off your build. you can cast a heat sink into it if you're worried about heat.

There are some neat RFID or Near Field kits you can buy for a keyless ignition too. I'd check Adafruit.com or sparkfun.com.

just my 2 cents anyway. I've been thinking about doing a stealthy little engine monitoring unit like that for a while now.

Keep the ideas coming
                        Stephen.
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

So I've made a few videos with the Dynojet kit.

With and without restrictors
                          With and without 1 restrictor
                          Stock VS no restrictors

So Pete, It looks like either reducing the springs or enlarging the slide hole will cause the slide to open quicker.
                          Last edited by Mekanix; 04-28-2013, 05:18 PM.
                          Stephen.
                          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                          GS twin wiki

Comment

Hi jack.I thought you'd get a kick out of our project.Dgyver and I started building a 569cc GS500 engine today.I'll be doing a post on the build next time we are together and hopefully getting pics of the huge pistons and cylinder sleeves.Got a polished and ported head with Mega Cycle cams and 36mm GSXR carbs.I can't wait till we get done.

Comment

Post up some pics

I made some progress tonight. Painted the cylinder head and jugs, coper coated the head gasket.
                              REtorqued the Rotor bolt to 65' lbs, I misread the book the first time and only set it to 65"lbs

I should be able to mount the exhaust and carbs tomorow.
                              Last edited by Mekanix; 04-27-2013, 11:11 PM.
                              Stephen.
                              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                              GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                                Post up some pics

I made some progress tonight. Painted the cylinder head and jugs, coper coated the head gasket.
                                REtorqued the Rotor bolt to 65' lbs, I misread the book the first time and only set it to 65"lbs

I should be able to mount the exhaust and carbs tomorow.

I am working on the pics.The charging rotor should be 90lbs of torque and red locktite on the bolt.I didn't get one torqued properly and it spun on the crankshaft and ruined the crankshaft snout.

Comment

Working...
                                X