No announcement yet.

Gs500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mekanix that looks nice a nice start for the project.

Hjfisk was the driving force in the project he and I did last winter.
    I'm not sure what happened to the images, I'm not having the best luck with photobucket so heres some more to give you an idea of what we accomplished.

From this

To this

Comment

Nice makeover!

Originally posted by oldpara View Post
      Mekanix that looks nice a nice start for the project.

Hjfisk was the driving force in the project he and I did last winter.
      I'm not sure what happened to the images, I'm not having the best luck with photobucket so heres some more to give you an idea of what we accomplished.

From this

To this

I had one all stock except for the decal stripe...fun bike but the GS450E I have now is more comfortable.

Comment

Very nice. Why didn't you go with the double rotor ?
        Last edited by Mekanix; 02-03-2013, 07:00 AM.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Lurch you're so right.
          The streetfighter ergo's is not my cup of tea.
          Much prefer the good ole GS upright riding ergo's.

Comment

That's what I'm heading for. Something comfortable and upright but with enough leverage to have fun with the bike.
            Right now I'm trying to find a good set of comfortable bars under 28'' wide.

Should I mess with the engine or leave it be and just do a refresh ?

I was thinking of bumping the compression to 10.5:1 from 9:1 by plaining the block but I don't know what it has for valve reliefs and clearances.
            There's probably a little more power to be had with degreeing the cam's.

Scored a new set of carbs yesterday and started to tear them down for cleaning. Surprisingly they didn't need any cleaning. But I did find one problem.

The spring on top of the throttle valve snaped into 3 pieces and settled on top. After running like that for a while it wore through the cap and the diaphram.
            Luckily I have the other carbs torn appart to scavenge from.

But I also wanted to use the other set on the frankintwin. Looks like a project for later on... Its already got the whole gs500 ignition upgrade.

Looking at the curve for the 500 It makes more sense for a larger engine. Less advance in the low rev's I'm guessing to prevent kick back.
            Last edited by Mekanix; 02-03-2013, 06:59 AM.
            Stephen.
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

I found two things that others with 450's can use.

If you have cam end float you could use the cam end shims for a 500 from 91 on.
              Actually most camshafts are the same diameter that I've seen.

The clutch mechanism under the left cover on most 450's before 1988 have a plastic bushing. The 500's have a bearing type screw assembly that rotates much smoother than the plastic type.

In other news:

I've cleaned almost every part.
              Got new tires BT-45's for 260$ a set.
              Made one good head out of two so I don't have to drill out broken studs
              Lapped the valves and found a good combination of shims

I'm starting to look at porting and cleaning up the head.
              Stephen.
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

I saw someone mention the shims over on the GS Twins forum, good to know they'll work! I don't have that issue myself but I have definitely heard 450's that do.

Good to know there's a clutch upgrade as well...

I run my clearances around the 0.05 mark as that's what the first clearance check resulted in and I haven't had to adjust them since. If you want to go tighter or looser, looser is better of course...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well since I just lapped the valves I figured they would tighten up a bit and there's really not much difference. But once its run a bit I'll go with that Pete.
                  Stephen.
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

I think I had to adjust one or two after the very first 15 minute run of the engine straight after the rebuild, but I haven't had to change any during the services since I've actually been riding.

That will probably prove me wrong next time though
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pics of progress:

Soon to be stripped and either painted or vinyl wrapped.

New Tires BT45

Before stripping

After stripping

Head shot

38cc chamber
                      9.0 compression
                      0.030 deck height
                      74mm bore
                      56.6mm stroke
                      Last edited by Mekanix; 02-17-2013, 12:47 AM.
                      Stephen.
                      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                      GS twin wiki

Comment

Nice job!, how did you strip the covers? Was it just an averge paint job by the PO or was there elbow grease involved?

Comment

Started with elbow grease. Found 5 different coats of paint so I had it chem stripped with aircraft stripper.

Took almost 30 minutes total. Now I'm trying to decide what to do about paint.

I could get it powder coated but my guy for that doesn't like doing engine parts. Can't blame him, Its too delicate for his set up.

Its probably going to be paint now but I can't decide between Lacquer, Acrylic, Enamel or Epoxy.

On top of that I have to do some plastic welding and take the paint off of the plastics before painting them again.

There's like 3 coats of paint on those and its chipping all over.
                          Stephen.
                          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                          GS twin wiki

Comment

Updates and Pics

Somebody has been here before

I was painting the block by hand and noticed a small hair on one of the magnets. I tried to brush it off and noticed that it was a crack straight through the magnet, and the epoxy was about to fly off...

The magnet right beside it was the same story.

After looking closely I noticed lots of claw marks on the backside of the magnet casing and on the block. It looks like someone was trying to pull this thing off with a 3 jaw puller.

I managed to get it off with the front axle bolt and a pin. It took alot of cranking and nothing happened so I taped the end of the bolt lightly with a hammer and there she went
                            Who knows where the starter clutch bits went to It all flew out when the rotor poped of the crank.

I just happen to have another engine I can get this part off of. The friend that I got all the parts from before still has the entire bottom end. So that's what I'm fixing now.

In other news, I got the new gear position sensor. And the position indicator is in the mail.

FYI, If your lights don't work or are intermittent, You can file the surface down and get rid of the pits in the contact pads on the sensor to make it work like new again.

Powdercoat should be done this weekend and I'm in the middle of painting the engine covers. So hopefully progress will be made soon.

Here's the first little bit of painting I've done by hand. Can't really do much in an apartment but I can brush. Although I might get into airbrushes like this guy

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by Mekanix; 02-14-2013, 11:08 PM.
                            Stephen.
                            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                            GS twin wiki

Comment

As far as the magnet cracking - from what I've read on the Twins site, it's a "common" problem. Common enough anyway that they call it "a case if the goats", or "another stator has goats". Somehow it got it's name from the first person to discover it.......

Don't know if you saw that over there.

Comment

Never herd of that before. This one was definitely due to impact from P-PO, Joe Hackamabob or something :P

On the other hand I got the rest of the magnets out intact. Good for magnetizing things.

Just for fun I might clean it up and put some niodinium magnets in there.
                                Last edited by Mekanix; 02-15-2013, 05:23 PM.
                                Stephen.
                                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                                GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
                                X