No announcement yet.

Gs500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Arduino stuff sounds very cool, but no time to fiddle with it for me these days... would like to though

As for a catch tank, this is working well for me:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=4703

With just a filter on the breather hose, I found although the blow by was very minor, it soaked the filter over time and ended up spraying a very fine mist of oil after a while.

With the humidity we get here, enough condensation forms to make what little blow by there is quite watery which makes it a hell of a lot messier.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Why do you have issues with oil coming from the vent?Blow by from bad rings?None of my GS engines blow oil out the breather hose.That pic I posted above is the dirtiest my filter has ever been and that's 3000 hard miles of riding.I live in an area where humidity is high year round.

Comment

The PCV valve is being used as a one way valve allowing a negative pressure to form in the case and not letting pressure build up.

It shouldn't be any more of a restriction than the original airbox was.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
          The PCV valve is being used as a one way valve allowing a negative pressure to form in the case and not letting pressure build up.

It shouldn't be any more of a restriction than the original airbox was.

OK.That's the first time I have seen one used on a motorcycle.Seems unnecessary.I know there's more than one way to get the job done.

Comment

Same principles as a car. I'd like to add a vacuum pump, thats been proven to help performance.

In other news I've been trying to clean the gas tank. I used a liter of acetone and that wasn't enough to get it clean but it did show that my tank wasn't rusty, IT was full of varnished gas SO I'm left with cleaning it out with more acetone. I don't think I'll need to seal it because I can see nice metal material under it. I've tried to desolve the gunk in gas and it won't do a thing to it.

I know that at 7$ a liter its going to get expensive quick. I'm thinking this tank is going to cost me about 70$ when its done, with the stripper and acetone.
            Stephen.
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

When programming microcontrollers, the golden rule usually is: if it works, it works! But of course, there's always room for improvement, right? (The forum software seems to have destroyed my indentation, so just imagine proper indentation below. Good indentation is very important!)

Gear selector pins could be an array, e.g.:

// Gear indicator pins, gear[0] is Neutral, gear[1] is first, etc
              // Or you could make the order match the shift pattern (1N23456), but there's probably no real reason to
              int gear[] = {40, 52, 50, 48, 46, 44, 42};

Be sure to make variable names descriptive, so instead of just "Delay":

int animationDelay = 200;

For loops are your friend:

int i; // declare this somewhere near the top of setup()

// Set LED segment pins mode
              for (i = 2; i <= 0; i++) {
              pinMode(i, OUTPUT);
              }

// Set gear selector pins mode and pull HIGH
              // (Building on the gear indicator pin array above)
              for (i = 0; i < 7; i++) {
              pinMode(gear[i], INPUT);
              digitalWrite(gear[i], HIGH);
              }

I'd stick all of the gear display stuff into a function. You just call the function with the gear to display as a parameter. That way, you don't have to write it twice and makes the main body of code much easier to read. This would be an excellent use of the "switch" statement.
              Last edited by eil; 05-06-2013, 12:55 PM.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by ben2go View Post
                Why do you have issues with oil coming from the vent?Blow by from bad rings?None of my GS engines blow oil out the breather hose.That pic I posted above is the dirtiest my filter has ever been and that's 3000 hard miles of riding.I live in an area where humidity is high year round.
                I wouldn't say I have issues... it's incredibly minor in quantity, but as I say the condensation that builds up from the humidity is the issue, not so much oil.

Engine was rebuilt less than 15000km's ago and rings are new etc. so it's not an "issue", it really is just mainly condensation related. That's why it gets so messy... but with the catch tank on all is now good.

Same principles as a car. I'd like to add a vacuum pump, thats been proven to help performance.

In other news I've been trying to clean the gas tank. I used a liter of acetone and that wasn't enough to get it clean but it did show that my tank wasn't rusty, IT was full of varnished gas SO I'm left with cleaning it out with more acetone. I don't think I'll need to seal it because I can see nice metal material under it. I've tried to desolve the gunk in gas and it won't do a thing to it.

I know that at 7$ a liter its going to get expensive quick. I'm thinking this tank is going to cost me about 70$ when its done, with the stripper and acetone.
                Ugh, but to be honest that's probably a lot less painful than having to de-rust and seal it...

sigpic

Comment

Well the tank is looking allot better.

I cleaned it out with 4L of acetone, that worked great at dissolving the gas gunge

Then I could see some good metal, so I through in 5 pounds of screw and shook the bejesus out of it

That helped allot. Then I through in some magnets to retrieve the screws.

I thought I had gotten them all out but I guess I missed a few.

That was yesterday.

Today I bought 12L of white vinegar. Man that stuff is awesome at getting the rust off. I threw in a few magnets and collected most of the rust. It only took about 10 fill, drain, filter, refill, fish with magnets again .... to get it good looking.

Now its ready for the Kreem.

Or so I thought.

I thought it would be fun to play with the boroscope and see what the inside looked like.

I found 75c
                  A bolt,
                  3 more wood screws I missed from yesterday.
                  2 nails ,
                  and I got everything out except one bolt that is still stuck in a block of gunge.

I might just leave it there. Its been there for years and not hurting anything.

I even got a video of a daring rescue of one of the screws what was wedged in the side.

Now the tank is being rotated while the rest of the rust is being eaten away.

Hopefully tommorow I can start the Kreem and body work on it so I can get it to paint .

Acetone and vinegar, my new favorite cleaners
                  Stephen.
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

Hahaha nice, quite the collection you got there!

sigpic

Comment

Now in step A Kreem. Phosphoric acid and 17L of hot water. So far it doesn't seem to be doing anything after 3 hours. I'll see what its like tomorrow. Could have just bought some Coke and filled it what that :P

Vinegar was by far the quickest, Less than 10 minutes from rust to clean metal.

Step B and C,the Kreem-ing have to be done together in quick succession before flash rusting occurs. Hopefully it will be complete tomorrow.

In other news I've finished the instrument cluster and all the wiring except the ardiuno. Need a hoby box to put it in and make a mount for it.

I think this thing will be ready next week.
                      Stephen.
                      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                      GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                        When programming microcontrollers, the golden rule usually is: if it works, it works! But of course, there's always room for improvement, right? (The forum software seems to have destroyed my indentation, so just imagine proper indentation below. Good indentation is very important!)

Gear selector pins could be an array, e.g.:

// Gear indicator pins, gear[0] is Neutral, gear[1] is first, etc
                        // Or you could make the order match the shift pattern (1N23456), but there's probably no real reason to
                        int gear[] = {40, 52, 50, 48, 46, 44, 42};

Be sure to make variable names descriptive, so instead of just "Delay":

int animationDelay = 200;

For loops are your friend:

for (i = 2; i <= 0; i++) {
                        pinMode(i, OUTPUT);
                        }

// Set gear selector pins mode and pull HIGH
                        // (Building on the gear indicator pin array above)
                        for (i = 0; i < 7; i++) {
                        pinMode(gear[i], INPUT);
                        digitalWrite(gear[i], HIGH);
                        }

I'd stick all of the gear display stuff into a function. You just call the function with the gear to display as a parameter. That way, you don't have to write it twice and makes the main body of code much easier to read. This would be an excellent use of the "switch" statement.

I had to stare at this for a while to get it. I really only knew of the long drawn out way to make it work and even that was by experimentation :P

Thanks
                        Stephen.
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

I had to stare at this for a while to get it. I really only knew of the long drawn out way to make it work and even that was by experimentation :P

Thanks
                          I just noticed a bug in my code. (And I figured out how to get proper indentation.) The for loop to set the mode of the pins connected to the LED segment should be:

[code]

for (i = 2; i <= 9; i++) {
                          pinMode(i, OUTPUT);
                          }
                          [/code]

When you have an evening to kill, google for a C language programming tutorial. Learn about variables, data types, conditional statements, loops, and functions at a minimum. Arduino isn't exactly C (it's actually C++... ish), but the basics are identical. You'll be amazed at the doors this will open in your programming abilities!
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Cool, I'm actually learning this stuff

I took your advice eil and learned a bit tonight.

I'm working on Bluetooth control and serial monitoring. So far I can turn on outputs and send feedback to the serial sender that the outputs are on.

Its a fancy nightlight at the moment :P The idea was to dim my cluster lights and turn on and off relay.s

I have one problem though, ( and I know my coding is still in the works)

But the problem is that I can sent anything from 0-9 and the arduino recognizes that and does what I want.

But what if I wanted to send something like "Light on"

I've tried changing [CODE] if (in == '0'){
                            analogWrite (ledpin, 0);
                            Serial1.println("mode 0");[/CODE] to [CODE] if (in == 'light on') { analogWrite (ledpin, 0);
                            Serial1.println("Light on");[/CODE]But If I send "light on" nothing happen's and i get an invalid return

[CODE]
                            int ledpin = 12; //output pin
                            int powerpin = 21;// power for BT module
                            int ground = 20;// Ground for BT module

void setup() {
                            // initialize both serial ports:
                            Serial.begin(9600);//this one for the USB connected computer
                            Serial1.begin(9600);// This one for my phone using serial bluetooth connection
                            pinMode (ledpin, OUTPUT);
                            pinMode (powerpin, OUTPUT);
                            pinMode (ground, OUTPUT) ;
                            digitalWrite (powerpin, HIGH); //set power on for the BT module
                            digitalWrite (ground, LOW); // set ground for the BT

}

void loop() {
                            // read from port 1 (BT module), do that , send a copy of the command to port 0 and port 1:

if (Serial1.available()) {// anyone there ?
                            int in = Serial1.read();// declare the word "in" as the variable that I'm using to call the input
                            Serial.write(in); // write whatever "in" receives to the computer screen

{ // If the "in" = 0 , As in I sent 0 from my phone, do the folliwing,
                            analogWrite (ledpin, 0); // turn on the output on pin 12 and set the pw, as low as it goes. Or off
                            Serial1.println("mode 0");
                            }else if (in =='1'){
                            analogWrite (ledpin, 25 ); // if its 1 that is received it sets the pwm to 25 out of 255
                            Serial1.println("mode 1");
                            } else if (in == '2'){
                            analogWrite (ledpin, 50); //and so on up to 9
                            Serial1.println("mode 2");
                            } else if (in == '3'){
                            analogWrite (ledpin, 75);
                            Serial1.println("mode 3");
                            } else if (in == '4'){
                            analogWrite (ledpin, 100);
                            Serial1.println("mode 4");
                            } else if (in == '5'){
                            analogWrite (ledpin, 125);
                            Serial1.println("mode 5");
                            } else if (in == '6'){
                            analogWrite (ledpin, 0150);
                            Serial1.println("mode 6");
                            } else if (in == '7'){
                            analogWrite (ledpin, 175);
                            Serial1.println("mode 7");
                            } else if (in == '8'){
                            analogWrite (ledpin, 200);
                            Serial1.println("mode 8");
                            } else if (in == '9'){
                            analogWrite (ledpin, 225);
                            Serial1.println("mode 9");
                            } else {
                            Serial1.println("INVALID"); // if I type something in besides 0-9 i get this back on the screed
                            Serial.println("INVALID");
                            Serial.flush();
                            Serial1.flush();
                            }

}

delay (100);
                            }[/CODE]
                            Stephen.
                            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                            GS twin wiki

Comment

In other new's the bike is done, all thats left is the paint and Arduino.
                              Stephen.
                              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                              GS twin wiki

Comment

Code is lost on me.It's a black art.

Comment

Working...