Gs500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth getting a pipe ?

I'm installing 75mm pistons with a jet kit and pod filter Maybe cam's from the GR650 as well if they are better than what I have.
    Apparently these are the type of mods that wake this thing up.

But how much difference will a pipe make compared to stock besides saving 10 lbs.
    Last edited by Mekanix; 03-28-2013, 12:34 AM.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Ooooh that's a tasty pipe... go the pipe!

If I understand it all correctly, not only will it save weight, but if 500's anything like the 450, the headers etc. are double walled I believe and the internal diameter is a reasonable amount smaller than what's on my Tranzac.

I would imagine the V&H muffler would be somewhat more free flowing than the stock one as well.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The V&H system is lighter than the stock exhaust.A lot louder and the pipes block oil filter access.I have a right side D&D muffler from a Hayabusa.I had a GST friend make me an adapter for it.I'm all in for $30.Most any sport bike muffler will work.My exhaust has a deeper tone than the V&H and is quiter below 5000rpm.

Comment

Good point, I didn't think about the oil filter.

I looked into buying that pipe, they want 350 for it, 27 for shipping and a $50 import fee!!
          Where did that come from ?

I'm going to keep shopping around, hopefully find something that is at least in Canada.
          Stephen.
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
            Good point, I didn't think about the oil filter.

I looked into buying that pipe, they want 350 for it, 27 for shipping and a $50 import fee!!
            Where did that come from ?

I'm going to keep shopping around, hopefully find something that is at least in Canada.
            Would there be an import fee if a private US citizen bought and shipped the exhaust system when you decided on one?Trying to think of a way to skip some costs.

Comment

I'm not sure, Some E-bay listings say they ship via USPS and they don't mention anything about import fees.

I think it might have something to do with the declared value. I've only ever had this problem before with UPS.

I would think it should work that way Ben2go.
              Stephen.
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

If it is shipped USPS there will be no duty charged. Any other form of shipping there will be duty charged.

Daryl
                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Sweet. Thanks Daryl

The pipe is a V&H Super-Sport PN:12029. I see a few people on Ebay with them for less than $400. I'm waiting for the local cycle shops to get back to me with their prices. Hoping they will be close to the same price without the shipping cost.
                  Last edited by Mekanix; 03-29-2013, 10:08 PM.
                  Stephen.
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

My new pipe

And

K&N filter, Dynojet kit, Battery, Turn signals, headlight, choke cable.

I'm regretting getting The dynojet kit now. I could have easily just bought two 150 jets and raised the needle 2 clips and be almost perfect.

Shows what a little research will tell ya :P

Getting some parts from the guys over on the GStwins site. Pretty good parts source
                    Stephen.
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

Excellent! Really looking like a GS500 now

+1 on your Dynojet kit comment too... plus I'm saving myself about $AU180 by just fiddling with the needle and getting some jets... which reminds me I must get my hands on some bigger mains too!

sigpic

Comment

My new pipe

And

K&N filter, Dynojet kit, Battery, Turn signals, headlight, choke cable.

I'm regretting getting The dynojet kit now. I could have easily just bought two 150 jets and raised the needle 2 clips and be almost perfect.

Shows what a little research will tell ya :P

Getting some parts from the guys over on the GStwins site. Pretty good parts source

Nice.

150 jets are way to rich.I know people push them on GST forum.I have never ran more than 145 mains.My current jetting is 142.5/40/no washers with 10mm clipped off the slide springs.I am running Hayabusa muffler on a stock GS header and a K&N filter like yours.My bike pulls hard all the way to redline.Oh,I also have a Bob B. 5* ignition advancer.The Bob B. advancer is a bit overkill.It seems to have moved my power band up in the rev range.I prefer low end power.Since my 89 is my curve killer,it works good.My project GS "Lite Tourer" will be kept mostly stock for noise abatement and keep the power band low in the revs.Just some food for thought.

Comment

What is a bob b ?

I was just going to slot the plate for 5 more degrees at most.

I'm ordering some jets now. 142.5 &150's hopefully one or the other will tell me which way to go.

And ill just use what's left for the frankintwin's carbs.
                          Stephen.
                          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                          GS twin wiki

Comment

I was thinking 150's were quite large... but I have no idea on the lunchbox and pipe combo.

I'll be ordering some mains myself today hopefully, a pair of 145's and 150's... going by how rich my needle had to be I suspect my mains will have to be quite large...

sigpic

Comment

What is a bob b ?

I was just going to slot the plate for 5 more degrees at most.

I'm ordering some jets now. 142.5 &150's hopefully one or the other will tell me which way to go.

And ill just use what's left for the frankintwin's carbs.
                              Bob B is a GST member and machinist that races GS500 motos.He is set up to advance stock ignition rotors 5 degrees.He doesn't really ask for payment.Just send him your ignition rotor and return postage.Most people,myself included,throw in a little extra because it's worth it since he is such a good guy and easy to work with.He is the one that helped me set up my SV 650 clutch upgrade on my GS500.

There is info here on Bob B.Advancer. http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=...nitionAdvancer

I am not sure if I would violate terms by posting my SV 650 clutch upgrade link here.It's on the GST forum.I could copy and paste.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                                I was thinking 150's were quite large... but I have no idea on the lunchbox and pipe combo.

I'll be ordering some mains myself today hopefully, a pair of 145's and 150's... going by how rich my needle had to be I suspect my mains will have to be quite large...
                                145 should be spot on.

Comment

Working...
                                X