Skipping Over Neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skipping Over Neutral

While running, my bike will almost always skip over neutral. I found this thread:

Place your 2 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

which mentions shimming the neutral locating spring. I tried adding a few small washers into the top of the large bolt, but that didn't do it. Did I not add enough? Anyone know the stock length of the neutral locating spring?

I found this on ebay:

My bike has the larger spring, bolt, and the plug. Is my bike missing the smaller spring? The parts fiche doesn't show this smaller spring. I took a look inside the hole while in gear and in neutral and there is barely any change in height of the plug. Any help is appreciated.

Have you tried stretching the spring? Are you having trouble finding neutral? How's your clutch? Does it drag when cold then free up when hot? Worn clutch will make neutral hard to select.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
      Have you tried stretching the spring? Are you having trouble finding neutral? How's your clutch? Does it drag when cold then free up when hot? Worn clutch will make neutral hard to select.
      I stretched it only a little. It's around 20mm long right now. I wonder if I need to stretch it more. I only added a few mm with washers and stretching. It rarely finds neutral. My clutch feels fine. I'm not noticing anything different when hot. I'm not having any other issues with the different gears.

Comment

I would try a stiffer spring. A stiffer spring is thicker steel. You could also add another spring internally as your EBAY picture shows to add tension.

I think stretching a high-quality spring permanently beyond it's relaxed length makes it longer, not "springier" and is bad for it.

Comment

check to see if the little plunger that sits on the spring, and locates in the hole in the shift drum is not worn and rounded off on the end. this will cause it to slip over the hole without positively locating in it.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hey,good one! I'll have to check that tip out myself! I put a ball bearing on top of my spring and it helps a bit.
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-19-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

If your free play is not right on your clutch it will make it hard to find neutral
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Suzuki_Don had a solution to this on his 550 and it involved a stiffer spring as Gorminrider suggested.

I can't recall though if it was a stiffer spring from a larger model GS or what...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Any hardware store sells springs.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                  X