No announcement yet.

I'm in the twin club….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might look at these Shinkos for the heck of it...(Canadian site )
    I wonder if these would fit.....Shinko seems to make a lot of sizes!
    rear 120/90/18

front 100/90/18

I bought my tires above for the 81 gsx400E (same cast rims as yours I figure) from my local shop...they were tires he got stuck with somehow and sold them to me cheap.
    I will have another look at them and make sure I wrote that Shinko's specs down right from the sidewall...

also maybe the 712s which offer a 110/90 18 rear
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-28-2014, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      OK, I'll probably take it, but I would like to ride it at least a litle bit on the stock front brake first, just so I can tell how much of an improvement it is. Still need to find an operable engine, or put the old one back together.
      If I don't see it listed on a tire site I call the 800 number and ask if they can get it. It worked at Pete's for my set of Sport Demons just took an extra week while he got them in. Shipping from Canada would probably kill you but maybe some US sites would do the same....
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Tom, here's something that might help you out: the front wheel on the E/S model is really skinny at 1.6" wide......which always makes tire selection tough. The good news? The GN400's front wheel is identical to the 450 E/S in every way except it has a wider rim width. It is 1.85" wide, same as your current rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
          Tom, here's something that might help you out: the front wheel on the E/S model is really skinny at 1.6" wide......which always makes tire selection tough. The good news? The GN400's front wheel is identical to the 450 E/S in every way except it has a wider rim width. It is 1.85" wide, same as your current rear wheel.
          Something to think about.
          Does the rear wheel fit too?
          It's a 2.15, which is a little wider than the 1.85 on the 450.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Dan, I do now recall someone with the "Salty_monk" twin pot upgrade... it's also "bwanna" who has done the 500 cylinders/pistons:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ke#post2059059

And you're right, the front is the smaller disc, 275mm according to the MetalGear website where I got mine from.

If I hadn't have gone and bought that brand new disc before finding out about the upgrade I probably would've gone that path...

However, there's nothing wrong with the stock set up and with the new (slightly smaller bore) master cylinder, rebuilt caliper, and a braided steel line on there either...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Something to think about.
              Does the rear wheel fit too?
              It's a 2.15, which is a little wider than the 1.85 on the 450.
              IIRC, the rear wheel on the GN400 has a 16" diameter. If so, you'll be looking for a 120/90-16" tire, which has a pretty small selection.

Comment

I will have another look at them and make sure I wrote that Shinko's specs down right ...
                ...Yes,it IS a Shinko Tour Master 3.00x18 on my front...they do exist-or did, a couple of years ago.

Comment

Apparently the don't make the 3.00 x 18 anymore.

Comment

Gave up on finding a cheap used engine. Apparently the local guy with the bobber project doesn't want my money, so just scored this:

Should be able to get it back together soon...

Comment

Good stuff Tom!
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Cases are together, time to put the starter clutch and rotor on, my manual says, "Take it to a Suzuki shop".

That's not going to happen.

Who's got the torque spec for the bolt? I might just use the spec for the 550,which is 43.5 - 50.5 ft lbs., but if anyone's got the correct number handy….

Found it, 65 - 72.5 ft.lbs., but that was from the sme Clymer's that said take it to Suzuki.

Is that right?
                        Last edited by tkent02; 06-11-2014, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Now I've done it. The starter clutch was working fine until i torqued it down. The big gear would turn one way and not the other as it is supposed to do. Torqued it down and now it's not moving at all, won't turn either way like it's bolted to the crankshaft.

Anyone seen this before? What did I do wrong?

Need to find a suitable puller, is it 14 x 1.5?

Comment

Weird.

14 x 1.5 it is. Get a high grade. 10 is what I used.

Really it should have been fine. only thing I can think of is that it went on slightly off and the clutch isn't capable of floating.

Can you push the gear in and out ? There is normally some play.

Might just need a bump to free it up.
                            Last edited by Mekanix; 06-12-2014, 02:46 AM.
                            Stephen.
                            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                            GS twin wiki

Comment

Too many shims ? There should have been perceptible endfloat before torquing it down.

Comment

There are no shims. There is also zero endplay in the gear, it is tight. OK, I stuck a bolt in to use as a puller, was zipping it down with a small cordless impact, not even turning hard yet and now the gear turns. One way only, like it's supposed to. The flywheel didn't seem to move at all, but now it turns.
                                So maybe that Clymer's torque spec (70 ft lbs) was way too tight? That makes no sense to me, either there's clearance or there's not, but somehow now it's working.
                                Can someone with a Suzuki service manual look up the proper torque spec please?
                                Again, it's the bolt on the end of the crankshaft that holds the rotor in place.

TIA!

Comment

Working...
                                X