Great news Tom! Glad to hear it!
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Just something I have been doing for a long long time, have always enjoyed doing it, but I haven't been able to really get anything done the last couple years. Too much time spent away working and when I'm home I'm too busy riding the dirt bikes.
      Sounds familiar.

Finally got a garage, now I need to find a gig close enough to home to have the chance to use it.

Any chance of a few pics? Maybe even a few brining it back from the dead...

Comment

Out dirt riding for a few days, I'll try to get some when we get home.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Cool thread, congratulations
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Another ride, just a little bit longer.

Runs beautifully if a little weak down low.

Fun bike.

Comment

Wow, pretty nice.

I was sort of expecting a bit more of a cobbled together look from how you described it.

But nice job.

Of course how it runs and rides is the key. Very cool that it was a resurrection bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                Very cool that it was a resurrection bike.
                Not much resurrection, reassembly was about it. No rust anywhere, no corrosion, everything worked fine except sixth gear. Just swapping in a pair of shafts full of gears off Ebay fixed that.

Probably one of the easiest ones I've done, except for the fact that someone else took it apart. He did a great job of labeling bolts and things, so even figuring out the puzzle was really easy.

But it is a little bit cobbled, the right side cover is silver, the front fender is rattle canned black, missing the key for the seat lock so I took the lock off, the seat is just sitting there for now. Brakes work but need some improvement, needs a better clutch lever and cable, the center stand is bent. And of course the shocks are not very good. Overall I'm happy with it for now.

Comment

Another cool bike joins its stable-mates in a garage full of well running 2 wheeled machinery.
                  Well done!

I'd bet the Mrs already has her eye on this one

Comment

Well, she did look at it funny.

Comment

Were you still sitting on it?? ---

Comment

Nice work from boxes of parts! Welcome to my world! (though I've yet to ride a 4valve 450 versus my 8 valve 400 and wonder if there's any noticeable difference)

I see you got rid of the instruments box? or did they come like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          Nice work from boxes of parts! Welcome to my world! (though I've yet to ride a 4valve 450 versus my 8 valve 400 and wonder if there's any noticeable difference)

I see you got rid of the instruments box? or did they come like this?
                          They came in the instruments box, stacked on top of the carburetors box, the engine cases box, the axles and foot pegs box the fork and shock box.....

No that's how the instruments come, I did nothing but put it together.

Comment

Great stuff Tom, and it looks like the PO has stuck some L or T gauges in place of the E/S gauges... E/S have a solid plastic enclosure as opposed to those separate ones... at least to the best of my knowledge.

She looks pretty good!!

Mine gets up and boogies around 5500 - 6000RPM, below that she still goes but not the same...
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Nice to see you have this up and running.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks guys, I think you are right, someone has altered the gauges. Oh well, they work just fine.

I have noticed the CV carbs are very slow to raise up the slides, a couple seconds before it starts to go after you open the throttle. I think this is actually what I was thinking was weak acceleration down low, it just wasn't getting going yet. If I hold the throttle pinned and hit the next gear it goes pretty good, even at fairly low RPM. Or if I short shift into a higher gear, open the throttle and wait, it pulls pretty good, just takes a few seconds. When I close the throttle to shift it takes this long time to get going again. Could be due to the elevation here, or a tuning thing as I have done nothing since going big bore except look at the plugs. (they look fine)

I guess the GS 500 carbs would fix this time lag, but maybe just drilling the hole in the slides bigger would help quite a bit. What is it, a 1/8" hole they recommend? Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X