X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Tensioner Rebuild

Hi there everyone!
    First time first day at this forum!
    I'm afraid that my chain tensioner is leaking some oil. if you look at this link and go to picture 5-7. http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html
    I think the leak is from that o-ring. So, my question is. Can I do what the nr 5-7 pictures is telling when the tensioner is still sitting on the engine?
    Best regards from Henrik in a sunny Sweden!

instagram: eklidenanno2012
    Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2016, 10:30 AM.

I doubt it. Be sure to change the oil seal in #8 & 9. Welcome!
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

welcome to the forum, cam tensioner rebuild is easy peasy, you have the right guide.
      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

It's always cool to hear my tutorial is being used in different parts of the world!

Steps #5-7 are just disassembly, so yes, you can do these with it mounted to the engine if that makes it easier to get a socket or wrench on there. Basically, you're using the engine to hold the tensioner in place instead of a vise.

However, if you've already removed the tensioner from the engine, don't re-install it without retracting the pushrod (steps 12-13).
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thank you guys!Yes it´s really good with those forums. I´m glad people put time in writing and telling about everything
          No, I haven't taken anything apart yet. I need to get hold of the oil seal first. Right now I´m changing the gaskets on the front forks.
          Here is my bike if anyone is interested, it´s an GSX 400 E -83...
          .FullSizeRender.jpg
          Hope your getting a nice weekend!
          /Henrik
          Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HE08 View Post
            Thank you guys!Yes it´s really good with those forums. I´m glad people put time in writing and telling about everything
            No, I haven't taken anything apart yet. I need to get hold of the oil seal first. Right now I´m changing the gaskets on the front forks.
            Here is my bike if anyone is interested, it´s an GSX 400 E -83...
            .[ATTACH=CONFIG]45559[/ATTACH]
            Hope your getting a nice weekend!
            /Henrik
            If you have any trouble getting the original seal, one from a Honda - part number 91259-VMO-000 - fits, and may be a better option if your shaft is worn because it has more flexible lips. The part is for a current ATV; it's the same as 91259-333-003 which fits the clutch lever shaft on a Honda CB350, 550 etc. It's about $4-5 and measures 16X10X4.5 which is slightly thicker but that doesn't matter.
            '82 GS450T

Comment

Thanx John!
              Good to know!

Comment

Another very useful thread.

Thank you bwringer for the very helpful tensioner rebuild page!
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                X