Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very small oil leak at retaining screw nut

Hi All,

During normal driving, through the city and a little bit at speeds up to 80-90 km/h, I do not have any oil leaks. Only when I am on the freeway for at least 10 minutes going between 110-120 km/h, I notice a very small amount of oil (maybe 4 or 5 drops) pooled on the engine below the set screw for the Cam chain tensioner. It looks like the oil is seeping between the screw and nut. Is there an o-ring I can replace?

Thanks

Alex

Short answer - yes. This has everything you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask

That orange thing looks non standard as well.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      Short answer - yes. This has everything you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask

That orange thing looks non standard as well.

Awesome Thanks Brendan. Yes the red goop sealing the tensioner is definitely something the previous owner used instead of the proper gasket, I'm assuming.

Alex

Comment

In my experience, the leak is usually from the seal on the shaft coming out to the knurled knob on the other side. It just dribbles down and ends up below the setscrew. The seal under the setscrew doesn't do anything except sit there and rarely 'develops' a leak. The shaft seal is infamous.

If you have any trouble finding the shaft seal, there is a Honda seal that is current and easy to get and maybe $6. The part number is in my thread in Tips and Tricks forum. I prefer the Honda seal, personally.

You'll have to remove and disassemble the whole tensioner, which is easy enough, BUT, you must do Everything in the correct order. Read fully first; don't wing it.

That yellow goo looks a lot like Gorilla glue……. I've usually just cut my own gaskets for there from gasket paper - even used a thin cardboard one for a while with no leaks.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

All is revealed here:
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Excellent info. I think I will deal with it next month. I just don't want to mess around with the tensioner before I do any of my one day rides in the next few weeks. It doesn't seem too difficult but something new seems like alot more than it really is.

Comment

Working...
            X