No announcement yet.

GS450 1981 won't redline, missing 20hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that It's not very helpful to say, but Maybe the 35 year-old tachometer is tired....they use magnetized steel to move the needle and this can lose its charge over time...so From this reader's perspective, "not redlining" is not much of a symptom .

But "lack of power" seems to be the kernel.
    The bike makes it to 120km/h
    Is that the limit? Yes that's truly gutless . I expect that's what the de-powered (german) bikes would do....I'd look up what they did de-powering (as to jets?) and doublecheck your own against it. It might be a clue as to how to improve yours.
    add: or maybe someone replaced the original carbs ...

Given the weights are working, and your strobelight test looks decent, but you have pods, carburetion still seems to be a possibility too. Might just be the air filters on the pods themselves....
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-24-2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I haven't ruled out carburetors. Pods are k&n with 135 main jet. I tried a 145 jet but that only made it worse. This made me think that it ran rich but since there's no black smoke and plugs look good I let it go. Since the lack of power is through the whole register my suspicions point towards ignition.

I also have a GSX400f from '82 and that one runs amazingly well compared to the GS. (Same bhp)

Comment

This thread can be put to solved!

Tacho was as someone stated not working properly, after 6800~ it wasn't following the engine speed the same anymore. Recleaned carbs again and checked compression. Everything was fine!
        I got annoyed by not finding the issue so I looked up another gs wich was for sale, I contacted the owner and got a test ride. They ran exactly the same. So I guess I was expecting too much from the old sack

Thanks for all the input in the thread!

Comment

You could get some US spec camshafts. They are cheap, easy to install, and as far as I know that's the only difference. You would [probably] have to go bigger on the main jet.

I don't think that year is a critical factor, but you'd probably be safer with cams made in the 80 - 84 period; I think everything from '77 to '94 fits, but there may be slight differences in endplay, etc. to contend with.
          '82 GS450T

Comment

yes, it's very common the old tachs get tired...

Comment

Good news! You can also go with the GS500 camshafts for a little boost especially in the midrange.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Good news! You can also go with the GS500 camshafts for a little boost especially in the midrange.
                The early ones with the tach drive gear, yes. I don't think the differences are all that great, but if you're making a choice, a bit more lift?, why not? I'd tend to go for condition first.
                '82 GS450T

Comment

I sold the bike yesterday and got myself a yzf750 street fighter. No need to switch cams in that one

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                  X