X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch jammed while riding

Hi
    I have a GS750 1977
    While riding the other day I had to keep tightening the clutch cable as it was getting really hard to get into neutral
    I stopped to adjust again and the clutch got jammed and wouldn't release
    I managed to unjam it and rode home
    I have burrs on item 6 in the pic where it has worn over the years
    Is this the cause for clutch jamming and do I need to replace it
    Thanks
    Marco
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I photo of the burrs might help - upload an image. When did you last set the adjustment screw (item 8) at the clutch?
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Have you checked the cable itself? When it's on it's last legs it's possible that fraying could jam the cable
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
        Have you checked the cable itself? When it's on it's last legs it's possible that fraying could jam the cable
        Yes....I agree...check the cable...
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Yes, sounds right. You said you'd been having to keep tighten the cable. That would be because it was probably fraying & stretching. like said, fraying can get caught up inside the sheath. Hope that's all it is, simplest fix there can be.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

So
            I cleaned everything up
            Replaced cable
            Set up clutch
            Everything good drove down the road fine
            Went for a blast and thought it was sorted
            Stopped at my mates for a quick coffee into neutral no problem

Tried the clutch after and couldn't get neutral
            Had to adjust all the way out on handlebar adjustment and still couldn't get neutral
            Had to adjust at the bottom so I could get neutral

Went back today and checked the adjustment below and set out a quarter turn
            Readjusted clutch - Sweet
            Took it out for 15 miles
            Stopped for fuel and the same again had to adjust all the way on handlebar etc

Any ideas?

Comment

When you adjust the clutch are you having to screw in the pushrod adjuster further and further to get the clutch to release.
              If this is the case it's possible that the center nut on the clutch basket is working loose.
              This would also explain the clutch release ramp mechanism going over center causing it to jam fully disengaged.
              Either that or the threads are stripped on the pushrod adjustment screw allowing it to be pushed back against the clutch spring pressure when you pull the clutch lever.
              Last edited by zed1015; 06-14-2022, 06:01 PM.
              Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
              VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

The pushrod is out a quarter turn no need to adjust this
                Seems to be when it gets hot the clutch needs adjusting quite a lot
                Took it out today 10/15 miles and couldn't get neutral
                Let it cool down and it was fine again

Comment

Originally posted by Mafiera View Post
                  The pushrod is out a quarter turn no need to adjust this
                  Seems to be when it gets hot the clutch needs adjusting quite a lot
                  Took it out today 10/15 miles and couldn't get neutral
                  Let it cool down and it was fine again
                  So heat expansion related.
                  It's possible the lifter mech is worn ( as you summised in your first post) and only lifting the plates just enough to barely disengage when cold and as soon as the pushrod etc expands when warm any clearance you had disappears.
                  I've had the same happen on a hydraulic clutch conversion that only lifted the pressure plate 1mm instead of 3mm which resulted in the exact same behavior.
                  It's also worth checking the plain clutch plates too now to see if dragging has warped them which will make the situation worse.
                  Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                  VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X