Incorrect Timing mark on EX Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect Timing mark on EX Cam

Hi everyone,I'm just checking the cam timing on my 1980 750 GSX. On the ex cam it has an arrow 2 instead of a 2 arrow as per the service manual.The inlet cam has the correct stamp.My question is,do I measure 20 cam chain links between the 2 arrows as per the manual,or do I go from the 2 on the ex to the arrow on the inlet cam.Thanks
    "Never, ever, bloody anything ever"

1980 Suzuki GSX750
    K&N Pods
    4 Into 1 Exhaust
    ES Carbs
    6 Sigma Stage 3 Jet Kit
    KONI Rear Shocks

I'm having trouble picturing the problem -- can you post a photo, and perhaps a scan or photo of the diagram in the manual?

And is this a 16 valve 750?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Both arrows should be pointing at a pin, if the # for the 750 is 20, pin at one arrow is Home & pin at other arrow should be Classifieds (Road-ready GS's only)
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Both arrows should be pointing at a pin, if the # for the 750 is 20, pin at one arrow is Home & pin at other arrow should be Classifieds (Road-ready GS's only)
        Or, in other words.... pin at one arrow is '1' and pin at other arrow should be '20'.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Actually arrow ONE ( on exhaust cam ) should be flat with the head surface and pointing to the front of the bike. This in turn put arrow 2 pointing straight up. THE PIN THAT ARROW 2 POINTS AT IS PIN NUMBER ONE. Then you count to pin 20 and put arrow 3 on the intake cam pointing at the 20th pin.

AND you cant mistake cams because the EX cam has the worm gear that meshes with the tach drive gear
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-21-2022, 09:11 PM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Did that mess up because I used the symbol for "and" instead of writing it out? I've seen that before, but it's still hard to believe.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Cam chain marks https://imgur.com/gallery/W6VarZo
              the difference here between the cam mark and service manual.

GSX 750 cam timing https://imgur.com/gallery/5WH0KIP

So i have the crank set on 1 4 T
              I have 20 pins between the 2 arrows as per the manual. But my Home mark is below the horizontal position it should be.
              Could this be 1 tooth out on the EX cam.
              Forgive my forum etiquette,im quite new to this.
              I hope this is ok. Thanks for the help

Last edited by Kiwi kid; 08-22-2022, 02:03 AM.

1980 Suzuki GSX750
              K&N Pods
              4 Into 1 Exhaust
              ES Carbs
              6 Sigma Stage 3 Jet Kit
              KONI Rear Shocks

Comment

Is the exhaust cam seated properly down into the bearings ? It almost looks as though the caps haven't been tightened down. If everything is down the marks look close enough to me. Where in NZ are you ?

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                  Is the exhaust cam seated properly down into the bearings ? It almost looks as though the caps haven't been tightened down. If everything is down the marks look close enough to me. Where in NZ are you ?
                  Cams are all torqued down. Its just that the number 1 mark is quite off from that horizontal and below the top of the head. I have had no real issues riding, it was something i noticed doing the valve adjustments. I'm in Christchurch.
                  Last edited by Kiwi kid; 08-22-2022, 01:50 PM.

1980 Suzuki GSX750
                  K&N Pods
                  4 Into 1 Exhaust
                  ES Carbs
                  6 Sigma Stage 3 Jet Kit
                  KONI Rear Shocks

Comment

PM sent. Offer to go and advise.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                      PM sent. Offer to go and advise.
                      Thanks Greg,have PM you.That would be appreciated.

1980 Suzuki GSX750
                      K&N Pods
                      4 Into 1 Exhaust
                      ES Carbs
                      6 Sigma Stage 3 Jet Kit
                      KONI Rear Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        I'm having trouble picturing the problem -- can you post a photo, and perhaps a scan or photo of the diagram in the manual?

And is this a 16 valve 750?
                        Have posted a link to images and yes it is a 16 valve.

1980 Suzuki GSX750
                        K&N Pods
                        4 Into 1 Exhaust
                        ES Carbs
                        6 Sigma Stage 3 Jet Kit
                        KONI Rear Shocks

Comment

looked to me that the marks on the 750 timing plate pic is the double advanced line pointing at the timing mark and not the T. The T has a single line at it. recheck what line is actually lined up with the timing mark
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            looked to me that the marks on the 750 timing plate pic is the double advanced line pointing at the timing mark and not the T. The T has a single line at it. recheck what line is actually lined up with the timing mark
                            I thought the image had shown that it is lined up to the single line next to the T.
                            I will double check.

1980 Suzuki GSX750
                            K&N Pods
                            4 Into 1 Exhaust
                            ES Carbs
                            6 Sigma Stage 3 Jet Kit
                            KONI Rear Shocks

Comment

roll the engine over and watch the number 1 intake valves open. As they are starting to come back up watch the timing marks and stop with the T line perfectly lined up with the timing mark on the timing plate. IF cam timing is corect the 1 arrow should be very close to level with the surface of the head. More importantly the notches on the right end of the cams should also be paralell to the head surface. If the notches are perfect then they are timed. Can the 1 arrow be a bit off when casted?? yes i suppose its possible. I would trust the end notches 100 percent.

Comment

Working...
                              X