Incorrect Timing mark on EX Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    roll the engine over and watch the number 1 intake valves open. As they are starting to come back up watch the timing marks and stop with the T line perfectly lined up with the timing mark on the timing plate. IF cam timing is corect the 1 arrow should be very close to level with the surface of the head. More importantly the notches on the right end of the cams should also be paralell to the head surface. If the notches are perfect then they are timed. Can the 1 arrow be a bit off when casted?? yes i suppose its possible. I would trust the end notches 100 percent.
    Are we saying everything should line up with the T mark on the left in the Image?

Did what you said,seems like everything lines up for cylinder 4 and not cylinder 1.
    This where the timing marks line up when the Cams and cam markings are the same as the manual,but on cylinder 4.
    Unless I'm lost in translation,which i could be.
    Last edited by Kiwi kid; 08-25-2022, 02:18 AM.
    "Never, ever, bloody anything ever"

1980 Suzuki GSX750
    K&N Pods
    4 Into 1 Exhaust
    ES Carbs
    6 Sigma Stage 3 Jet Kit
    KONI Rear Shocks

Comment

Give me a ring and I'll come over at the weekend. 03 4200497

Comment

thats not where the ndicator should be pointing. IF you watched the left cylinder (numberb one ) INTAKE VALVES get pushed down by the cam lobes and then you lined bup the line to the left of the T you should have both notches on the right ends of the cams lined up with the surface of the head AND the number 1 arrow should be pointing forward.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hey everyone,
          first off thank you very much for all your help and advice.So today,I pulled the cams out,set them exact as the manual,realign the timing marks,made sure I had 20 pins between the arrows,and Hey presto,she's running bang on.Just need too get a timing light on her.
          Not sure what the previous owner had done.
          "Never, ever, bloody anything ever"

1980 Suzuki GSX750
          K&N Pods
          4 Into 1 Exhaust
          ES Carbs
          6 Sigma Stage 3 Jet Kit
          KONI Rear Shocks

Comment

Working...
          X