Neutral Light Flicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neutral Light Flicker

I noticed recently that the neutral light on my ‘81 GS750E flickers very slightly when the bike is idling with the turn signal on. Turn off the signal and the neutral light is solid, no flickering like it should be. I checked the connections on the gear position indicator switch under the sprocket cover and they are clean. None of the other gear positions flicker. For example, the gear indicator is solid when I’m riding and turn the signal on.

What could be going on?

As as educated guess, I'd say this is probably perfectly normal

Turn signals on motorcycles cause a bit of a voltage drop because the stator can't generate full voltage at idle. So you see the headlight and other lights fluctuate in brightness a little bit.

If you haven't done so already, it's worthwhile (for this and many other reasons) to go through and inspect, clean, and protect every last connection and switch on the bike to minimize voltage drops. The neutral and gear lights go through a lot of connections, so if you measure voltage at the bulb, it's probably quite low. The gear position bulbs are much smaller and lower wattage, plus you're at full voltage while you're riding.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Just say'in, ground problems are known for creating weird stuff to happen, like turn signals affecting neutral indicator.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks guys! I’ll do some tracing of the wiring for the neutral switch and see if I can find a voltage drop across any connections. I’ll also double check all the grounds.

Comment

Spider webs and dirt in the dashboard?

Comment

Just assuming this has started kind'f recently, or has it always done it?
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Just assuming this has started kind'f recently, or has it always done it?
              I’ve only had the bike since July but I’ve ridden it pretty regularly since then except for the last couple weeks. It’s always done the flicker since I’ve owned it. It’s just one of the many things I’m still discovering about this bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Runningdog View Post
                Spider webs and dirt in the dashboard?
                It could very well be some dirty connections. I am hoping it’s something easy like that, and not some kind of impending doom with the stator.

Comment

Mine did this sometime in the past 40 years.
                  the wires from the contacts at the end of the shift drum have the wires for gears sheathed together but neutral separate, both have a connection on the frame spine. Multi white connector apt to crumble and a lone bullet connector for neutral.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                  X