Copper headgasket O-rings.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copper headgasket O-rings.??

Got a NOS gs650 headgasket for my build and noticed that the package didnt contain any rubber orings that are supposed to go to the 4 corner oil holes that the studs go through. Instead on the 4 corners the gasket has embeded 4 copper looking orings. Is that normal? No rubber orings needed like a 550 headgasket???
    GS674 Hybrid -1965 Vespa 90 -1958 BMW R26

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Is your NOS gasket OEM? Is it a Suzuki part or something else? I wouldn't think twice if it's a Suzuki part......
      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

slayer61 unfortunately no its an aftermarket gasket but even the OEM ones there was a change on 650 headgaskets down the road the E,G variation were having embeded rubber orings but the 650M (katana) had a headgasket similar to mine with big holes on the 4 corners with a copper looking ring and no other extra orings sitting inside.. i am thinking on putting some P9-P10 orings from an assorment i have laying around in the garage

Comment

Looking at the pic, the copper rings on the outer corner studs are one - time use crushable rings. If you ever re-use that gasket yes, I'd put rubber o-rings in those holes.

Comment

GregT but the rings look so thin i cant understand how they will crush that much to seal the oil passage on the studs. Will it hurt anything if i put 4 rubber orings now? I DONT want to tear this thing down again for leaks

Comment

Ended up putting 4 P8 orings on the 4 corner gasket holes just to be safe

Comment

Are the corner back stud holes on the 550/650 used as an oil feed, same as the other engines? Be careful, if so.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Grimly yes if i am correct the oil is shot up from the 2 holes on the back and drains by gravity on the two on the front. I didnt want to risk it and not put anything so i used 4 P8 orings that sat inside the hole of the gasket very nicely held down by a little bit of vaseline until i torqued the head.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                  X