Valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover gasket

what are you guys finding is the best way to seal the cam cover gasket. just put on the second one and it still leaks. i normally just put them on dry because its so hard to get sealer off after words. have you found a good sealer for this.?
    Also what brand gasket is best . the 2 i used were knock offs .How do you like Cometic or maybe Vesrah. something that has quality with out the big price would be nice. OEM May be best but if i can find an alternative that is proven to work without the cost of the OEM that would be great.​
    76KZ900

What model and year of bike are we talking about. They all have their foibles, and different solutions.

Comment

OEM is the best. Use grease on the gasket to keep it from sticking. To save money, get the PN off Partzilla or similar, then hunt on eBay.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Im about to adjust my valves on my 83 gs1100e. On my bike, what material is the oem valve cover gasket? Is it metal?

Comment

It's not metal. It's either Rubber or paper. 1983 was an odd year as there was a cross over. If your bike is a 16 valve motor it's rubber (I'm pretty sure, my '83 GS750ES has a thick rubber gasket that goes into a groove) The rubber ones are reusable, unless they come out in pieces.

Take it apart first, so you know for sure.

Comment

I was using OEM valve cover gaskets for years and got two or three uses out of each one. After a settling-in period of a few hundred miles, and a re-tighten, they'd seal for the rest of the service interval, no worries.
            Last few years I've been using Vesrah, and they need to be snugged in more than once after installation. I don't find Vesrah to be inferior in general, but the specifics might vary from OEM.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Mark1200 View Post
              what are you guys finding is the best way to seal the cam cover gasket. just put on the second one and it still leaks. i normally just put them on dry because its so hard to get sealer off after words. have you found a good sealer for this.?
              Also what brand gasket is best . the 2 i used were knock offs .How do you like Cometic or maybe Vesrah. something that has quality with out the big price would be nice. OEM May be best but if i can find an alternative that is proven to work without the cost of the OEM that would be great.​
              Hammer of the gods. Dissolves in alcohol. Laughs at petroleum.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

On higher mileage bikes has anyone had issues with oem rubber sealing correctly, due to slight warpage of sealing surfaces?

Comment

On my 1983 GS750ES the gasket concept isn't the best. The bolts that tighten the valve cover are shoulder bolts. They only go down so far, and the gasket is expected to hold the oil in. It has never worked well. They also strip very easily. I have Heli-Coiled every hole, and made thin washers to make the thicker washers push down a little more. It worked a bit better, but if I really wanted to seal it, I would use a thin layer of Yamabond # 4. That stuff seals cases, but is hard to take off. I may, the next time, just use Yamabond on the top of the gasket, take the shoulder bolt down .030" of an inch, and see if I can get the top cover to squeeze down a bit more. I may just get Allen head bolts, and make aluminum washers, and squeeze it tight. I always carry a cloth to take care of any weeping after a ride.

****changed bottom to top Nessism​ is right.
                  Last edited by Suzukian; 05-30-2023, 10:28 PM.

Comment

On older stuff, at least with older automotive applications, like valve covers and transmission pan gaskets, Ive found that most times I have to avoid rubber gaskets, as they will almost certainly leak. I use paper or fiber gaskets, with just a smear of permatex right stuff, if I want the gasket to not leak. I realize its more work to take apart the next time, but I hate leaks. I am considering using this approach to the bike, as its not the funnest valve cover to take off, and I want to avoid doing it twice.

Comment

Originally posted by adam83 View Post
                      On higher mileage bikes has anyone had issues with oem rubber sealing correctly, due to slight warpage of sealing surfaces?
                      No....................
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by adam83 View Post
                        On older stuff, at least with older automotive applications, like valve covers and transmission pan gaskets, Ive found that most times I have to avoid rubber gaskets, as they will almost certainly leak. I use paper or fiber gaskets, with just a smear of permatex right stuff, if I want the gasket to not leak. I realize its more work to take apart the next time, but I hate leaks. I am considering using this approach to the bike, as its not the funnest valve cover to take off, and I want to avoid doing it twice.
                        The product I showed you is the best sealant I have ever used. Though ive never seen the stuff you mention. Is it an rtv? I can't recall an rtv that didn't seep oil in time.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Permatex right stuff, Black. Yes it's an rtv. No setup time, cures in about 10 to 15min. It's the best rtv I've ever used, I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. It can be used basically anywhere except exhaust. I've never had a leak with it. It's flexible and adheres to surfaces very well. I've never used Hondabond and yamabond, but heard good things about them.

Comment

Sealer on the cover side of the gasket is fine, but I wouldn't use it on the head side or you will have a fight on your hands come time for the next valve adjust.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Oem with using your finger to <<paint>> it with grease or get yourself some 1mm thick gasket paper cut the gasket yourself (time consuming) and apply again grease. Dont use torque wrences up there go by feel and with criss cross pattern and patience. Opened up my rebuilt engine to adjust valves after 200kms and gasket came off super easy and resealed perfectly. Used in the past some aftermarket ones like versah they started leeking in no time. Also make sure both surfaces are smooth and clean as possible. Over the years and by completely tearing an engine apart and resealing it i came to the conclusion that the most critical part of sealing 2 surfaces is their condition and cleanliness. If everything is butchered up no OEM gasket will save the day no matter how expensive they are
                              GS674 Hybrid -1965 Vespa 90 -1958 BMW R26

Comment

Working...
                              X