Valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post

I could be wrong but I think the point is once the gasket is permanently deformed (flattened) it may not seal with the factory spec torque applied to the fasteners. This may cause some to over tighten the fasteners with hopes it will stop the leak, but instead strip the threads.
    That's about it. The more ham-fisted will crank down on them, not realising that enough is enough. The OEM gasket is either thicker or slightly more resilient and can seal properly from the first go, or can stand a second check-tighten a few hundred miles later - and then go on to be re-used a couple of times. The cheaper ones, not so much, and those encourage over-tightening.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

OK, I read "reusing a torqued gasket is what tears out threads", I can see overtightening a torqued gasket is what tears out threads. I guess the exact same thing only different. Thank ya'll for clearing me up.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

You can re-use my '83 GS750ES gasket quite a few times. It will weep as much as it did when it was new. I only got new ones when they got hard. They are incredibly thick. The shoulder bolts makes the gasket float between the top cover and the head. You cannot squeeze the gasket past the shoulder bolts. Good in theory, bad in execution.

Comment

Hi Guys, sorry for the lack of replies. i have been away. anyways i was hoping to hear of an off brand that works well. i have a 76 KZ900 Kawasaki and they want over $100 for an OEM gasket. It seams that i will have to go that route. , thanks for the responses. I am somewhat surprised that some are having success putting grease on a gasket. it just seams so wrong when grease is normally used to reduce friction. But in the end, what ever works , right.
          76KZ900

Comment

Originally posted by Mark1200 View Post
            Hi Guys, sorry for the lack of replies. i have been away. anyways i was hoping to hear of an off brand that works well. i have a 76 KZ900 Kawasaki and they want over $100 for an OEM gasket. It seams that i will have to go that route. , thanks for the responses. I am somewhat surprised that some are having success putting grease on a gasket. it just seams so wrong when grease is normally used to reduce friction. But in the end, what ever works , right.
            It surprised me too when first reading about people greasing gaskets. But I tried it on my clutch cover gasket using WD40 and it didn't leak a drop, nor did the gasket appear wet anywhere along the seam.
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
            X