No announcement yet.

Valve Stem Seals, or maybe throw in the towel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked all day, just wanted to hear it run. Lots of smoke but it cleared up eventually and I got a nice idle. Think I must have pinched a wire putting everything back together. Tail/ brake lights had been working prior to the video. Blew the 10A signals fuse 3 times. I’ll break out the wiring diagram and multimeter tomorrow. Did go for a short ride up and down my lane a few times. Amazing how small this bike feels after riding the Tiger the past few months. Time for beer.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 12-05-2023, 10:21 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Remember, open garage door before first start up...Congrats, Proud for ya
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Haha. I had one bay open, and the man door behind the camera. Wasn’t enough. Had to open the other bays.

I’ll be proud of me too, once I work out the electrical gremlins. Tomorrow is another day.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Well done. Enjoy that beer!

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
          ​​
          Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Congrats, pinched wire somewhere likely. So now what to do with the rest of the winter?
            1986 1150EF
            2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
              Congrats, pinched wire somewhere likely. So now what to do with the rest of the winter?
              Got the kid some upgrades for his POS Chinese dual sport for Xmas. He and I will work on that a bit. I also think I’ll try and tackle valve clearance on the Tiger. Won’t be bad if it’s in spec, but if not, the shims are under the buckets, so it’s cams out. Fun stuff. Having watched the videos, that project could easily take me a couple of weekends.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Well done! Is there an exhaust leak? Hard to tell from the video sound, but it sort of sounds like that, plus there was some blue spoke out the front of the bike when you first started it.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I believe I do have an exhaust leak down low at the collector. Will investigate more. First I gotta put all the smoke back in the electrical system that got out last night. The only stuff I have is for positive earth bikes. Hope this works.

Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Excellent! You didn't waste any time getting this thing put back together. See, nothing too tough that you couldn't handle.
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Thanks, Bandit. The mechanical stuff is sorta like following Lego directions. Just have to get to it. The electrical stuff I’m not great at diagnosing. I took the seat and airbox off today, didn’t see anything obvious in the wiring around the battery. Burned a couple more 10A fuses on the Signal circuit. I didn’t feel like unwrapping wiring today. May start in on it tomorrow evening, or wait until Friday, have another day off work.

I did pill the signal relay. I don’t know if a bad relay could cause the fuse to blow. It’s cruddy inside, ran out of electronic cleaner spray. My thought is to just replace it. It is original.

Question for the hive mind. Can I replace with pretty much any 2-pin signal relay. Everything I see on Amazon is for LED. Is that ok to use without LED signals? Example:
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I've got a few of those old flashers. I could send you one. But the electronic ones for LEDS work fine too.
                        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                        82 gs1100L probably the next project
                        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I'll get the one from amazon. Thanks Eli.

Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Nice work Rich. Congratulations.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

So, started in on the Fuse Blowing situation last evening.
                              The Signal Circuit 10A fuse blows whenever I activate the front brake or the rear brake.

There is a new good tail/brake lite bulb in a very clean bulb socket.

I've un-taped and cleaned all bullet connectors to the rear of the bike that live in a bundle behind the battery box. Found nothing suspect there. Cleaned everything anyway. No obvious kinks or breaks/rub-throughs that I could visually see.

I've gone through a pack of fuses. Have to get more.

Throughout the tear-down/rebuild of the top end, I disturbed none of the wiring in this circuit, not on-purpose, anyway.
                              I suppose I'll try cleaning the front and rear brake lite switches, pull the headlamp out and clean connections there, look for breaks.

Will attempt to meter/continuity check the switches..

This circuit controls some instrument panel lights, turn signals, horn, and brake light. All other items work until I activate either brake light switch.

Is there something obvious (to someone smarter than me) that I should be looking at as the cause of the fuse blowing?
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Sounds like wire between the brake light switches and the taillight bulb is grounded. Should be easy to check.
                                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                                X