No announcement yet.

Valve Stem Seals, or maybe throw in the towel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my 2c here in the hope that there may be an easier solution than remove/replace cylinder head to replace seals: plug number 1 also looks fouled, but certainly not as much as number 4.

Have you closely inspected electrical connectors and measured voltages and resistance values at the coil feeding 1 and 4? Also plug wire and cap of number 4. Plugs 2 and 3 look OK, but if valve stem seals are the culprit, I would expect all the seals to be similarly worn (causing all plugs to be fouled), and not just seals badly worn on 4 and slightly worn on 1.

My first guess is therefore an electrical issue on 1 / 4 side.
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

I will measure coils this evening. Thanks.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Maybe you missed my post, you can drill through a spark plug and make your own adapter for a pressure gauge. Not difficult to do, easier if you have a lathe, but I've done it by hand.

Comment

I didn’t miss it. Thank you for the tip.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Towelie says:

"Don't forget to bring a towel!"
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              Thanks, Bob. I’ll consider it. Harbor freight has a few that are reasonably priced. But how do I know if they have the right adapter to fit the threaded hole in my intake port?
              I think there might be some confusion here. The compression tester shouldn't be connected to the vacuum port on the intake. It is threaded into the spark plug hole. I believe most compression testers come with a few adapters for most standard plug thread sizes, 14mm 12mm and maybe 10mm. My 850 uses 14mm, not sure what your 750 uses but just verify plug thread diameter and check compression gauge specs. The Bosch tool I recommended covers most common sizes, and has extensions for plug holes that are recessed in the head like on our bikes.

Sounds like you have something else going on though, since new plugs didn't help. I agree with others, ensure adequate voltage at the coils and check the carb for # 4.
              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
              - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

93Bandit,
                I'm sure you're right. Forgive me. I was thinking of the ports on the intake bosses on the back of the head that are used for carb tuning. My mistake. I've never done this before. Thanks for clarifying.
                Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-19-2023, 09:29 AM.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  93Bandit,
                  I'm sure you're right. Forgive me. I was thinking of the ports on the intake bosses on the back of the head that are used for carb tuning. My mistake. I've never done this before. Thanks for clarifying.
                  No worries, glad I could help clarify! Not to worry about never this before, compression test is easy to do. There are tons of threads discussing the do's and don'ts of a compression test. Everyone starts somewhere. I'm fairly experienced with engines but there are plenty of things I've never done before. Learning every day.
                  - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                  - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Not a lot done tonight. Have a meeting in a bit so could only start to take things apart. Got 3 of the 4 screw off number 4 carb lid. Stripped the last one. Yes, I Know, JIS, impact driver. Still stripped. I’ll cut a slot with the dremel and get it out. Have to quit for tonight though.

I’ve ordered a compression tester but will probably not get to testing till next week, Sunday evening at the earliest. I’ll be away all weekend. I did the only thing I could do: put my finger over each plug hole and run the starter, yes, throttle wide open. 1-3 audibly “chuffed” and felt strong, felt like it wanted to suck my finger into the hole. 4 was weak by comparison. Hardly empirical evidence, but I’ll have to wait on the gauge to have any numbers.

I’ve also ordered a cheap endoscopic camera for my phone. Always wanted one anyhow.

Measured 12v+ at the O/W + lead on both coils. I have no clue how to read ohms or what I’m doing here. Searched a bit but no luck. I have a multimeter. Would someone mind a brief instruction on how to set my meter, where to put the red and black leads. Sorry, not my forte. Would be greatly appreciated.

Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

OK, watched a video on measuring resistance. I got 3.7 ohms on the primary side of both coils. Can’t get a reading on the secondary sides. I’m sure I’m doing setting something wrong.

edit:
                      Figured it out.
                      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-21-2023, 06:58 PM.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Let’s measure the resistance (ohms) of the primary circuit of the ignition coils.

To properly measure the resistance of a circuit the circuit must be off, as in no current flowing through it.
                        Unplug the O/W (power) wire from the coil and the white (ground) wire from the coil.

Set your meter to the ohms setting. For this circuit probably the lowest setting.
                        Put the red meter probe one the power connector of the coil and the black lead on the ground connector of the coil.
                        (When the meter is in the ohms mode it puts a very tiny amount of current to test the resistance of the circuit.
                        Thats why the circuit needs to off, as in no current flowing through it.)

The meter will display the resistance in ohms between the meter probes, I.e., the coil primary circuit resistance.

How many ohms resistance are your coils?
                        Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                        1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                        1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

To measure the resistance on the secondary side of your coil, put a probe in each sparkplug cap.
                          That will read the total resistance of the coil’s secondary circuit, including the spark plug wires and caps.
                          Since your meter is not auto ranging, you need to select the scale that would show, maybe 30k (30,000) ohms.

Comment

And here is more than you asked for, but the magic of electricity is:

V=IR. Or volts equals current(In amps) time resistance (ohms).
                            To solve for current divide each side of the equation by R and you get:

V/R = I

So when you were hustling up that big hill with the HDs trying to keep up,
                            and your charging system was cranking out 14 volts,

14V / 3.7ohms = 3.78 amps is all your coil was sucking up!

Comment

If you can feel a noticeable difference in suction on # 4, that doesn't sound good. Not say'in anything just talk'in, Possibly valve not closing or burnt, or compression ring.. but don't give up, still possibly more minor than that.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

One probe in 1 cap, other probe in 4 cap (doesn’t matter which where). Should be about 35k ohms. Your meter has a 20k range (means goes up to 19.99k) so use the 200k range.

if it reads high, say, like 80k or 150k, you can twist/pull off the spark plug caps from the wires, and measure from 1 wire to 4 wire, should be about 25k. Can also measure each spark plug cap, should be 5k each……
                                oh, wait, I am assuming stock caps that have a 5 in the number for 5k. The caps with resistors in them can go bad by going to higher resistance (but still spark some) and then go completly open.

maybe you can hope for plug cap(s) being the problem, since they are cheap and easy to replace.

but your preliminary compression check (thumb) seems like is ominous.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                                X