Clear All

Gonna do that right now, Ed.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

K&S sells spark plug caps for about 1/2 the cost of NOS NGK parts. I'm not sure how good they are, though. K&S turn signals are low quality on the electrical side, so it may be a risky...

Here is another source...

Last edited by Nessism; 09-20-2023, 05:37 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just swap 2 of the caps, put 4 on 3 and 3 on 4 and see if anything changes. I'm really interested in what caused this Groups cyl. to quit.... Also what ron said in post #50, remove the resistors, replace them with a piece of heavy copper, and reinstall. Now no resistor to be bad... I can't imagine why you would want one, but if you think you need a resistor, put in a NGK DR8EA, you'll still have a resistor just in the plug and not the plug cap.... $20 for a plug cap??? that's crazy.... Wish you were closer I've got 2 new XD05Fs new in box out in the garage.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Agree, there's little sense in running resistor caps when NGK resistor plugs are cheaper and easier to find than non-resistor NGK plugs. There are probably some other brands of non-resistor plug out there but at $4ea at the local automotive chain store I'll stick to NGK.
          ​​​​​
          ​​​​

​​​​

​​​​​

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Diaphragm is in perfect condition.

Turns out the diaphragm isn't my problem either as I swapped slides and the problem didn't shift. I'm beginning to think coil/ lead/ cap....

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
            ​​
            Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Update:

Have disassemble, cleaned and reassembled all plug caps. 2,3, 4 read low to high 9K ohms. So they’re no better. # 1 cap I can’t get a reading at all no matter how many times I take it apart and put it back together. So I now have a new problem I didn’t have before my bigger problem of a mostly dead cylinder.
              I will not be modifying these plug caps.
              These caps are done.
              Moving on.
              I will be buying new caps.

Non- resistor caps and switching to resistor plugs seems like a good idea.
              Known solutions, specific links for what I need would be appreciated. Parts that are known to work with the 16 valve 750 engine. I don’t know what to look for now.
              Would like to put the coils and plugs to bed so I can get into rebuilding one of my other heads.

Endoscopic camera arrived today. So played with that a little. All pistons have quite a bit of carbon buildup on top. This is the offending cylinder # 4. You can see oil pooling in the indents.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-20-2023, 09:55 PM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Rich, don't get too excited with these caps. They're really simple, $80 for caps NO, though that Home seems odd. anything conductive, to replace those resistors will work, we think copper, but a screw with a small enough head to fit in there, cut a 10 penny nail or a piece of coat hanger to fit, I like to make just a little longer than the resistor to be sure both ends fits the inside connectors tight when the little brass thing is screwed back in. then you have non resistor caps. should have a complete full connection, no resistance, from the little pin that screws into the wire through the little brass part that connects to the plug. Heck just play with it, only takes a minute. Some will argue but I've ran them without the resistors forever never changed to resistor plugs and have never had any firing problems. I think the resistors are to restrict static on radios.... The compression test will tell a lot, the carbon on that piston looks normal, I can't see the oil you mentioned.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Rphillips. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I really do. Please understand. I am not going to modify these 41 year old caps. I’m done playing with them. I’m moving on. If you’ve got links for what I need in NEW caps, I would sure appreciate it.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-20-2023, 11:07 PM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Rich,

Z1 Enterprises has all your spark plug caps
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Todd, thanks. I’m sure I can get these just about anywhere. If you have a part number that would help. I don’t want to get the wrong thing. I think now I want to go with non-resistor caps.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

That carbon deposits on your pistons could cause detonation or ignite the fuel mixture too soon. This oil leaking into the pistons means in the very least you need valve stem seals, but you may also need new valve stems. Catching it now could prevent touching the lower end of the bike. Polishing the top of those pistons could only lead to good things. IMHO

Comment

Big T, et.al.
                          Z1 does have the resistor caps for $6.95 - I think this is the right one - If I want to keep with the resistor caps.
                          Color/Finish: Black Material: Plastic - Rubber Specifications: Adaptable Thread Size: 10mm / 12mm Shape: 102 Degree Elbow Terminal Style: Stud Resistance: 5k Ohms Allowable Wire Diameter: 7mm-8mm Fits: 10mm / 12mm Spark Plugs With Terminal Stud Notes: Equivalent to NGK XD05FP Sold Individually Some Models Take Two Different Types of Plug Caps

I think maybe I should just get these?

They appear to be out of stock of these other resistor caps.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-21-2023, 01:57 PM.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            Update:

Have disassemble, cleaned and reassembled all plug caps. 2,3, 4 read low to high 9K ohms. So they’re no better. # 1 cap I can’t get a reading at all no matter how many times I take it apart and put it back together. So I now have a new problem I didn’t have before my bigger problem of a mostly dead cylinder.
                            I will not be modifying these plug caps.
                            These caps are done.
                            Moving on.
                            I will be buying new caps.

Non- resistor caps and switching to resistor plugs seems like a good idea.
                            Known solutions, specific links for what I need would be appreciated. Parts that are known to work with the 16 valve 750 engine. I don’t know what to look for now.
                            Would like to put the coils and plugs to bed so I can get into rebuilding one of my other heads.

Endoscopic camera arrived today. So played with that a little. All pistons have quite a bit of carbon buildup on top. This is the offending cylinder # 4. You can see oil pooling in the indents.
                            Mirror polished bores. Pull the head ffs. Swanning about with changing caps is a ludicrous sidetrack.
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I never remember seeing this size caps without resistors. You got me nosey, I just went out in the garage and took one of my new XD05F's apart, they are made exactly the same as the OEM, not a clue about how the K & S brand is made, NGK can easily be changed to non resistor, just as the OEM can... Did you find non resistor caps? both of these say 5K ohm, one in title, the other in description

Comment

Cipher,
                                All in good time. I know the top end all needs redone. I'll get to it. If you've followed from the beginning, you know I'm going to rebuild the top end for the '82 engine that was originally in this bike. In the course of looking at things, coils/wires/caps came up to investigate. Investigation lead to where I am now - needing new caps, Then I'll get to building the other engine to put in this frame. When I do that, I'll have reliable coils/caps. This is a long-term project. I'm in no hurry now. As you saw and commented on my other thread, I will likely have another bike to ride before too long. Sorry if my story, the way I choose to work on my bike, or the order in which I choose to work on it doesn't agree with you. I have seen you rarely contribute helpful advice in threads such as these. If can do so here and give me link to the correct non-resistor or resistor cap (I don't really care at this point), then please do. Or you could just scroll on.

rphillps, yes both of those of the links I posted above from Z1 are resistor type. only this one is available. I had thought one of them was a non-resistor, but as you saw, it was in the description.
                                Color/Finish: Black Material: Plastic - Rubber Specifications: Adaptable Thread Size: 10mm / 12mm Shape: 102 Degree Elbow Terminal Style: Stud Resistance: 5k Ohms Allowable Wire Diameter: 7mm-8mm Fits: 10mm / 12mm Spark Plugs With Terminal Stud Notes: Equivalent to NGK XD05FP Sold Individually Some Models Take Two Different Types of Plug Caps

If I can get someone here to tell me this will definitely work, I'll buy it. Right now I'm second guessing myself, because I have never done this before. Trying to learn.
                                Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                                X