• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650E Clutch normal ?

Hello Everybody,

I just bought a 1983 Suzuki GS650E.

I have a problem with the clutch.
    When a gear is engaged, if I disengage the clutch with the lever, I cannot move the motorcycle.
    I took it apart and took photos. I'm not sure if this is normal?​ (Video with the link)

Video : https://streamable.com/2hdacu

Thank you !
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Stuck plates - how long was it sitting for?
    Long enough to get a rusted washer, for sure.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Original I think, not fully opened the clutch.
      I think a piece is missing? Does the stem move like that originally? there is a groove without anything?

Comment

I can't say for sure but they're all loose, I can't remember how loose. it's been a long time since I had one apart but yours seems it "might" be hard to get lined up in the clutch cover hole. First thing, get a repair manual, it will answer a bunch of present and future questions. There's not much behind that shaft. it just sits in there and pulls the pressure plate out against the springs to disengage the clutch. You're already in there, take those 6 bolts and springs out and see if you see anything wrong. I just looked at a parts fisch and it looks like there should be only the shaft, a flat bearing, and flat washer. It doesn't show a washer on the outside where your video shows it. .. If you take it apart, be careful putting the spring bolts back in, they are easy to twist off.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Before I’d take the 6 bolts off the clutch assembly, I’d first put the clutch cover back on temporarily and see if relocating the clutch lever arm on housing pivot bolt takes up any surplus slop…..and helps the hand lever/cable gain more throw to separate plates.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for your replies,

I removed the pressure plate , put the washer back in the right place and reassembled, all are working fine now.

Comment

Always enjoy happy endings, congrats.... Like mentioned, the repair manual would have had a picture and explained where the washer was supposed to be.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
              X