No announcement yet.

Let's talk about cam walk, baby...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 83 850 makes the same sound, although at a different frequency. More of a gallop rhythm, "tick tick...tick tick... tick tick" Seems mostly noticeable at op temp. I just bumped the idle up a smidgen and that helped. Bike has 34k on it, never been rebuilt as far as I'm aware, and in the 10k I've put on the bike, I've not noticed it get any worse. It bother me for a while but I've learned to live with it.

The ticking at hot idle on yours is impressive lol. Sounds like a blacksmith hard at work for fear of not making enough swords in time for battle lol.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
      My 83 850 makes the same sound, although at a different frequency. More of a gallop rhythm, "tick tick...tick tick... tick tick" Seems mostly noticeable at op temp. I just bumped the idle up a smidgen and that helped. Bike has 34k on it, never been rebuilt as far as I'm aware, and in the 10k I've put on the bike, I've not noticed it get any worse. It bother me for a while but I've learned to live with it.

The ticking at hot idle on yours is impressive lol. Sounds like a blacksmith hard at work for fear of not making enough swords in time for battle lol.
      One of the inspirations for making the video was the accidental discovery that idling hot on the side stand made the noise very consistently. I've literally never done that before, but after warming it up in the garage, I backed the bike out and left it running while I got off the bike in order to put it on the centerstand.

On the centerstand or in normal operation, the tick while idling hot is irregular and occasional. Put it on the side stand, ticking every revolution. The ticking goes away immediately above idle.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I must say, that is the worst 'cam walk' I have ever heard. And I have heard quite a few. I recently worked on an '82 that had just over 70,000 miles on it, it sounded about like your first video. The owner said that it sounded like that when he got the bike many years ago with about 25,000 miles on it. Regular maintenance, valves adjusted, carbs synched, etc., etc. No change over the years.

I have also heard it on a few early 1000s and a couple of 650s, but none of the twins.

I like the solution that uk gs nut found. Might have to try that.
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

My old 82 was like that, for many years and miles, but was never that loud. It always went away with a little engine speed.

Comment

Working...
          X