EXHAUST CAM:

Opens: 40 degrees BBDC
    Closes: 14 degrees ATDC

40 + 180 + 14 = 243 degrees DURATION

234 / 2 = 117 - 14 = 103 degrees LOBE CENTER

Don, shouldn't this be:

243 / 2 = 122 - 14 = 108 degrees Lobe center
    Hi Ed, thanks for your comments.

The final figure for the Lobe Center is correct, it was the Duration number that I got wrong. It has been corrected to 234 degrees now.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2010, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Hey Don, et al,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm keeping up on this thread and learning from all of your experiences. Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hey Don, et al,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm keeping up on this thread and learning from all of your experiences. Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Thanks Cliff,

I too am learning a lot, particularly about degreeing camshafts. Looks like I will have to pull them again and slot the sprockets to get them right.

When I finally get it finished it should be a good ride. 75+ hp and 6 speed transmission, and plenty of choices with rear sprockets to get the gearing right. It should be a joy to ride.

I should do a full write up on the project one day. I have thousands of photos. It is a complete rebuild from the ground up. Epoxy coated frame, etc. split crankcases (some parts replaced in bottom end), apart from crank assembly all bearings replaced, tapered rollers in head stock, needle bearings in swing arm, etc.

Even if no-one else is interested I will make up a document for my own reference from go to woe.

Thanks again Cliff for your encouragement.

And to everyone else on the GSR that has been able to contribute and offer help so far. Two more months I hope and it will be on the road.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2010, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
          Hi Ed, thanks for your comments.

The final figure for the Lobe Center is correct, it was the Duration number that I got wrong. It has been corrected to 234 degrees now.

Thanks.
          I should have stopped with my first post, obviously I am not smart enough to even do simple math problems, can you tell it is Monday? Maybe you shouldn't follow any on my advice...

Keep up the good work and remember, GSR Man of the year, BassCliff, is watching you.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
            I should have stopped with my first post, obviously I am not smart enough to even do simple math problems, can you tell it is Monday? Maybe you shouldn't follow any on my advice...

Keep up the good work and remember, GSR Man of the year, BassCliff, is watching you.
            I thought it was Tuesday.

Ed keep the ideas coming. You made me recheck my maths and do the alterations needed. No comments are worthless, even if they just cause us to go back and rethink an issue over again.

Yes I wonder when Cliff is going to get a REAL job. I think his real job is keeping the rest of us honest and his musical prowess is just to keep him busy at nights.

Comment

Just to add some more uncertainty I looked up the 550 and 650 manuals and they give differing link numbers between intake and exhaust cams. The 650E Manual gives it as 19 teeth and the 550 Manual gives it as 20 teeth. So going by this bit of info I could be spot on, 1 tooth or 2 teeth out on the sprockets. ...
              Don't worry about that little tidbit, the number of teeth between the marks is different between the 650E and 650G engines. Just follow what the book says.

... Sorry about the Magna Carta & hope my calculations are OK. STEVE will soon let me know if they're not. He probably has this info on a SPREADSHEET somewhere.
              Sorry, not for valve timing.

Adjusting your clearance with shims, yes. Timing, no.

I thought it was Tuesday. ...
              No wonder you're having problems.

You blokes "down under" aren't even in the same day as the rest of us.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I should do a full write up on the project one day. I have thousands of photos.
                You should do it now. If you wait until it's running, you will never write it up, you will be too busy riding.

I following in your footsteps, I really am. I just need to find a 550 to start on.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Back to the future part V
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    You should do it now. If you wait until it's running, you will never write it up, you will be too busy riding.

I following in your footsteps, I really am. I just need to find a 550 to start on.
                    A 550 should be cheap over there and in abundance.

BTW I have a lot of my photos on a Photobucket album.

Comment

I picked up a dial gauge today at a FORD swap meet (Sunday). It was just what I had been after. It came with the magnetic base (V block) and attachments to adjust position of gauge. It is a good brand one as well. It also came with a wire pointer with a thread tapped on the end to screw into the gauge. Should be able to adjust (bend) it to sit on the bucket as I do a final check on my cam timing. Currently it is at Intake 104.5 and Exhaust 105.75. But that was done without a dial gauge. So I can now do a final check and make sure it is all OK.

Comment

In the end for those that are following this thread for real practical data when doing this task on a 650E themselves I found that if the two notches in the end of the camshafts are facing each other and level and square to the upper head surface then all is well. That is what worked for me in doing this task.

Comment

In the end I found that if the two notches in the end of the camshafts are facing each other and level and square to the upper head surface then all is well. That is what worked for me in doing this task.
                          Resurrecting an old post, but I wanted to point out my frustrations on my 8v gs750, which were amplified after rebuilding my engine with a resurfaced head and block deck, further adding to #1 sprocket arrow confusion... notches in the head are where to look when unsure.

And make certain to wind up the cam chain tensioner spring with plenty of preload with spring knurled nut off (reinstall locknut with threadlocker) and then follow the instructions of backing the setscrew off 1/4 to 1/2 turn and jamming it's locknut down. I didn't follow these instructions as precisely as I should have before, and my chain jump teeth on the crank sprocket a couple times before I realized my errors. Luckily no bent valves because I deleted the starter motor, you get a lot more feedback when kicking it with your foot to start
                          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                          X