GS850 head/cams on GS750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 head/cams on GS750?

My '78 GS750 has the dreaded cam knock problem. A friend of mine has two GS850s for sale. Would a GS850 head and cams fit my GS750?

The '79 GS850 top end will work on an early 750. The later (1980+) GS850 with CV carbs will not.

I don't remember if you have to change the pistons and cylinder as well. There are a few other details too.

Also, assuming you mean cam end float, the noise is harmless. Use earplugs and ride lots. Many examples of the 850 are also subject to this noise, so replacing the top end with one from an 850 would be no guarantee.

If cam end float bugs you, here's the fix (not mine -- this is from the ingenious mind of "49er") : http://bwringer.com/gs/cam_end_float_mod.pdf
    Last edited by bwringer; 07-08-2010, 09:43 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The cam walking is pretty much harmless.

If it is the 1979 850, the head is identical, same part number. The cams are different, they used a GS1000 cam for more low RPM torque on the 850.

Change cylinders and pistons while you are at it, for about a %15 increase in displacement.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
      X