Changing output shaft o-ring on 83 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing output shaft o-ring on 83 1100E

I have read some posts here about changing the output shaft oil seal and it sounds like it might be possible without splittng the cases. I'm wondering if the output shaft o-ring can be replaced without removing the oil seal? I would hate to get it dug out and then find out I've got to remove the oil seal also.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2010, 04:45 PM. Reason: typo

The oring you are referring to is behind the spacer behind the countershaft sprocket. Ray.

Comment

The output shaft oil seal cannot be replaced without splitting the cases.
      The o-ring yes.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        The output shaft oil seal cannot be replaced without splitting the cases.
        It can if the seal retainer is missing!!! Ray.

Comment

Ray,

Do you have any suggestions for removing the clip if it comes to that? I've read about drilling the cases with an 1/8" bit, but that sounds like one step from disaster unless you've seen the inside of a case or know where to drill and where not to. I might not want to make my best guess at that and need JB weld or worse to fix it.

Thanks,

Comment

Only way to get the clip out is to split the cases.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Bill, see the responce from racingjake in this post. I'm just sort of leary about trying it. Are you guys sure I can dig out the o-ring without needing to remove the seal? Still waiting for the 0-ring to arrive, anyways

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

If the seal retaining clip is there, I will split the cases & do it right. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                X