drip,drip-drip,drip-drip-drip final drive leak update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drip,drip-drip,drip-drip-drip final drive leak update

well I finally stopped the final drive leak on my 80 gs1000L, I decided to replace the seal that never goes bad (teehee) im glad this one lasted 30years as the seal was a bit pricey, part #09289-70001 it was bought thru local suzuki dealer for $35 plus tax $37.28 wow, this seal is huge as it measures nealy 4 inches across, pretty sraight forward repair , was going to buy the large o-ring also but it was NLA from dealer , I did the repair with final drive in place, I drilled a small hole in seal and used a small cheapo body man dent puller to remove it, all surfaces were cleaned , the seal surfaces were also looked at and some surface rust was removed with light 3-m scour pad, light grease applied to seal rubber and outside to ease install, I also made an installation tool using a small section of 3 1/2 inch sched 40 PVC pipe to drive new seal into place, it worked perfect as I did not need to damage this $35 dollar part , after installing new seal I used the Honda moly lube on the drive splines , as I did not replace the large o-ring I decided not to remove the drive gear lube as it was just serviced before the leak started , the fluid was like new , the original leak was not a gusher but still managed to drip on rear wheel(still very messy) and could become a saftey issue if left unchecked , if not making the bike look nasty to boot, I topped of the gear lube and all is well ............. once you get shafted you never go back to the chains
    Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2010, 11:39 AM.

Thanks for the info, I am about to the same job to the 850. Figured as long as the wheel was off for the new tire I might as well fix the little leaks along the way.
    Bill

Comment

your most welcome, most the work was taking the rear wheel off , cleaning the leaked gear lube, i removed two rear fender bolts to gain a little more room to aid in rear tire removal, take your time to do the prep work...........have at it

Comment

If you have the time for it, I'm sure any bearing house in your area could source the seal and O ring if you show it to them.

I have had good luck with they anyway.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Awesome!

When I did this, I took the seal to bLowe's and rummaged around until I found a large PVC pipe connector of some sort that works perfectly as a seal driver (in conjunction with a rubber hammer, of course).
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
          X