Camshaft Top End Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    So Don, how does the engine sound after fixing the sync?
    Ed I haven't done the synch yet, just put the gauges on to see how far off they were. Seems a fair bit to me, what do you think?

Ed as far as the wear pattern on the crankshaft web gear goes, how could that be off. The crank main bearing seat on dowels in the upper case so that positively locates the crankshaft longditudinally, Right. It can't move. So the other option is the clutch gear is not lined up, any ideas how that could happen. I put it back together the way it came apart. It drives the oil pump properly, there is no interference with clutch housing, etc.

I notice that the primary reduction ratio is 93/47 for 1977 and for 1978/79 is 87/44 so I wonder if someone previously mismatched a clutch with a different tooth combination. Probably would not fit. I don't know. What's going on.

Any suggestions as to why the primary gears are not running true to each other.

Had my rest back out to the bike now.

P.S. Is it OK when synching the carbs to loosen all three lock nuts on the adjusting screws at once and then muck around adjusting the three screws to get the adjustments correct. Or do you just loosen one at a time?

Comment

Hi Don,

Adjust 2-3 first, then the outside carbs in no particular order. I always do the sync before riding the bike and yes, yours is WAY off. I'm fairly certain the engine will be much quieter with the sync adjusted correctly. As far as the crank gears go, no clue. Doesn't seem right but might be perfectly normal. I agree with you in that I don't understand how it could be off.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That sync is way off Don. Was that with a warm engine and no choke?

I wouldn't want to run another 900 kms with sync like that.

You could pull them roughly into line quite quickly after warming up the bike with a 5 minute ride.
        1979 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post

Any suggestions as to why the primary gears are not running true to each other.
          Just looked at my 550 engine which is sitting there with the clutch cover off. The clutch is not installed, but the wear on the crank gear teeth looks to be misaligned identically to yours.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Just looked at my 550 engine which is sitting there with the clutch cover off. The clutch is not installed, but the wear on the crank gear teeth looks to be misaligned identically to yours.
            Thanks Tom, that puts my mind at rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Coady View Post
              That sync is way off Don. Was that with a warm engine and no choke?

I wouldn't want to run another 900 kms with sync like that.

You could pull them roughly into line quite quickly after warming up the bike with a 5 minute ride.
              It was with the motor slightly warmed up and the choke was off and at 2000rpm.

Comment

I'd sync em ASAP. A small amount of idling at this stage won't do squat to your break in. No different to getting caught at the lights a couple of times - as long as you do it swiftly and just aim to get em roughly lined up.

Cause seriously, you won't be riding round at wide open throttle all the time even if you wan't to.
                1979 GS750E

Comment

OK Final Results

I got the carbs synched.

At these revs:

With this result:

This is the latest video after the synch was done. i think it's a bit quieter, what do you all think.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

After I did the synch I went for a ride and it was running like a dog and eventually stalled a mile from home. Thought I was out of juice, put on prime and it took off again plenty of power but very rough at idle. Then it hit me, I had left the vacuum hose off the fuel tank. Pulled over, put it back on, switched back to ON and everything was alright again. Rode it hard for about 20-30 mins, got back and took the video above.

Thanks ALL.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2010, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Quieter!!! Are you kidding? Sounds like a different bike.

That's a massive difference. To my untrained ear it now sounds like any old GS should.

I reckon you got it.
                    1979 GS750E

Comment

Thanks COADY, I plan to enjoy some riding now.

Comment

Nice one Don, if even I can tell that sounds better, then it must be heaps better
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          Nice one Don, if even I can tell that sounds better, then it must be heaps better
                          Thanks Pete, I am rather pleased it is sounding better.

Comment

Sounds and looks great! Must be a nice feeling to have your bike back huh?

Comment

Sounds like you've cracked it Don. Well done.

You've become a guru on the 550/650 conversion.

Even sounds a lot quieter, to my half deaf ears. The idle does sound a bit high though on that last video. Drop it back to 1000 rpm, just to make sure.

Now ride the snot out of the bloody thing!!
                              The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Hey there Don. Glad to see you got it back together. I am beginning to wonder if all the noise is coming from the clutch basket. I was checking out 2 old GS1000 baskets that I have sitting around the shop the other day, wanting to fix one of them up for a spring rebuild project. I placed them on a wooden table with the gear up and gave them the twist test. One of them had a little more play in the spring/backing plate than the other. After looking a little closer at it, the rivets were actually moving around in their holes in the cast part of the basket.....Imagine the noise this would make in a motor with straight cut gears..idling in neutral.....Try loading the clutch in gear, sitting still and see if the noise gets quieter. I agree with you, it's a bit quieter.....Billy

Comment

Working...
                                X