Engine binding up?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine binding up?...

I had some problems with my bike yesterday and decided to pull the plugs out and check them, they were a light brown to white colour on the tip, which i've been told is fine. But with the plugs out i turned the motor over with a socket and it felt like lots of little notches as i turned it over is this normal or should it be perfectly smooth?

Its a GSX250S Twin.

This is normal.

With the plugs out, you're simply feeling the resistance vary as the camshafts rotate. When the cam lobes press down on the spring-loaded valves, resistance increases, and when they pass the center point, the valve springs will reduce resistance.

Google some animations of overhead valve four-stroke engines to help you picture what's happening.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Yeah i wasn't to sure, it almost feels like gears coming together, its hard to describe

Comment

Working...
      X