Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! 3 Motor Mounting Bolts Missing, size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! 3 Motor Mounting Bolts Missing, size?

I was taking a closer look at the GS and checking torques when I noticed there are 3 motor mount bolts missing. The 2 front uppers that go through the frame and the lower bolt that is under the points cover.

Does anyone know what the thread and size is on these bolts? I would like to order them through McMaster. They ship right away. I could go bike bandit and wait a month :-(

I would measure the other side but, I am afraid to take any more bolts out. Glad I found them now. I don't see any cracks thank god. Felt tight on the road. Strange.

Thanks to any help you can give.
    Josh

Originally posted by MassJosh View Post
    I was taking a closer look at the GS and checking torques when I noticed there are 3 motor mount bolts missing. The 2 front uppers that go through the frame and the lower bolt that is under the points cover.

Does anyone know what the thread and size is on these bolts? I would like to order them through McMaster. They ship right away. I could go bike bandit and wait a month :-(

I would measure the other side but, I am afraid to take any more bolts out. Glad I found them now. I don't see any cracks thank god. Felt tight on the road. Strange.

Thanks to any help you can give.
    Josh

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

THE metric bolts are id'd in this fiche

Comment

If you need some I have a few laying on my garage floor.

Comment

They are M8 X 1.25 X 60mm if they match my 550 just changed mine out last night for longer ones to hold high way bars.

Comment

Originally posted by machinest View Post
          They are M8 X 1.25 X 60mm if they match my 550 just changed mine out last night for longer ones to hold high way bars.
          Awesome, I feel better now.

I ended up ordering Class 10.9 Black Fnsh Stl Hex Head Cap Screw M8 Size, 70mm Length, 1.25mm Pitch. Just so I know they are long enough.

For the big one under the engine I ordered Class 10.9 Black Fnsh Stl Hex Head Cap Screw M10 Size, 60mm Length, 1.5mm Pitch.

Big Thanks to all who posted
          Josh

Comment

For the engine mount under the engine, near the timing cover, do you have the special pear-shaped nut? It's part 23 on the diagram.

The thread is 10mm diameter X 1.25mm pitch -- US/Euro 10mm bolts use a 1.50mm thread pitch.

Also, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when tightening these engine mount bolts -- at least one forum member punctured his engine cases with bolts that were slightly too long. Not good.

For those playing along at home, please remember that on many GS models such as the GS850, these bolts are different lengths on the left and right side. If you put the longer one on the wrong side, you'll punch through the engine case.
            Last edited by bwringer; 08-31-2010, 09:09 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by machinest View Post
              I got some sitting around as well from doing the same thing. I fit some spacers on the left side to get the case guards separate from the case as the foot pegs where a bit to close on the inside (ie touching)

As stated now that you know the bolt is a bit long get some washers on the outside and you should be good to go.

Comment

i have all this stuff x 20...
                there used to be a demand for complete motor mount kits for racers who bought stock/modified frames and didn't get these.

Comment

The upper bolts were perfect. The Bottom one was too short. Would not catch any threads. I will have to look at it a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by MassJosh View Post
                    The upper bolts were perfect. The Bottom one was too short. Would not catch any threads. I will have to look at it a little better.
                    There aren't any threads to catch without the special nut.

And the thread pitch is 1.25, not 1.5.
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Since he needs to use a nut anyways, the pitch should not really matter that much. Yea i know it affects the strength if force is applied against the bolt to pull on the threads, but its mostly its a vertical load and threads are to keep it in place.

If a regular nut wont fit dremel down the sides to match the odd shape of the oem.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                        Since he needs to use a nut anyways, the pitch should not really matter that much. Yea i know it affects the strength if force is applied against the bolt to pull on the threads, but its mostly its a vertical load and threads are to keep it in place.

If a regular nut wont fit dremel down the sides to match the odd shape of the oem.
                        I believe the egg shaped nut is that way because it catches against the frame and prevents it from turning once the threads are engaged. Not sure about the model you're working on, but, it's a very tight fit on my '81 750L. Not sure you could get a wrench in there to keep it from spinning with a regular nut.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Right -- if you can get a washer and a regular nut in there and tighten it successfully, then it'll work fine and the pitch won't matter as long as it matches the bolt.

I honestly don't think there's room, but maybe it's worth a try.

If you don't want to order one of those special nuts, I and many others have several lying around. See if someone nearby can send you one.
                          Eat more venison.

Comment

On the 650 I got a pair of locking needle nose plyers to hold a reg nut on to the longer bolt I used to push the engine guard out a bit with spacers. Im not sure what pitch the bolt was... just took the one I pulled out in with the spacer I wanted to use and got one that much longer and a fresh nut and lockwasher to go with it... then again I think the one I pulled off had a reg nut, no special shape.

Comment

Yep, the nut is missing. :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X