Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts ?

Its a 83 gs1100gk shaftdrive
    Question? On my rear tire I am getting what seems to be 90w oil from the pumpkin dripping from inside the hub. The hub seems pretty hot and I am wondering if something is heating up the hub causing the oil to expand and rise up to the vent holes and then drip out. Or is there some kind of seal that may have let go letting the oil leak out.
    One more clue when I replaced the tire i noticed if I tighten the axle bolt to much the tire would not spin. My impression is the tire rides on 2
    bearings so if I put the tire back on with all the correct spacers why would it not spin after I tighten the Axel nut ?
    So could the bearings be seized which in turn stop the wheel from spinning and over heating the hub causing the oil to expand and then leak from the breather holes ?
    How would the collective minds out there proceed ? Thanks for any help.

First, you need to sort out exactly which spacers are missing or incorrectly installed on or in the rear wheel, correct that, then install new wheel bearings and see where you are.

The leak could be related -- if I'm picturing this correctly, you might be missing the final drive spacer which would allow the spline to chew into the seal. There's a spacer in the final drive that can fall out when you remove the rear wheel, then a spacer on either side of the rear brake mount. Over on the brake side, the "hat" shaped spacer goes on the inside, and the tapered spacer goes on the outside.

The spacer between the rear wheel bearings is #5 on the diagram, and the spacer inside the final drive is #7:

Tightening the axle should not make it hard to spin the rear wheel. Granted, shafties always have a bit of resistance -- you can't get the wheel to spin freely just by pushing and letting go -- but you should be able to move the rear wheel easily by hand.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
    X