Vanishing oil trick: For really smart guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
    Also, i never check the oil on the center stand. On the stand the bike is not level. I leave the kick stand down and balance the bike vertical and check the oil. If it gets away from me the kick stand stops it. I'm I the only one?
    No, the others that do that are the ones that have removed their center stands.

I have not seen the instructions in a GS Owner's Manual, but the others I have seen say something to the effect of:
    "Place the bike on the center stand on level ground. Check the oil level by ..."

Seems to me that the engineers designed the bike to have the oil checked on the centerstand, why not do it that way?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      No, the others that do that are the ones that have removed their center stands.

I have not seen the instructions in a GS Owner's Manual, but the others I have seen say something to the effect of:
      "Place the bike on the center stand on level ground. Check the oil level by ..."

Seems to me that the engineers designed the bike to have the oil checked on the centerstand, why not do it that way?

Perhaps your right. I always done it this way with or without the center stand installed. Overall it probably does not make a significant difference. Perhaps it comes from other bikes i've owned, like KLX650, sight glass for oil level, no center strand.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

No oil in the air box. I will need to buy the tools to do the compression test. Recommendations on the kind of gauges to buy and where to get it?

Comment

Watch your rear-views and do some aggressive engine braking going on a downhill decel ramp. You will see a lot of white smoke if the seals are leaking. It will seem to stop on acceleration. The thing is, just about all thirty year old valve seals leak, It's just a matter of degree. It's on my list to do, but it's easier to check the oil at this point.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
          X