Cracked Crankcase / Motormount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked Crankcase / Motormount

Not sure at how bad of a problem I'm looking at here.

This bike has been sitting for quite some time, (long term project style). I go and jack it up this afternoon and notice the lowest front motor-mount bolt is missing. "Oh yeah, I took it out when I took off the crash bars". I look at the other side, and sure enough that bolt is missing as well. What I find instead, is a crack through the bolt hole area. The bike isn't leaking oil or anything from this location.

What kind of job am I looking at to get repair this? Should I bother repairing this? Or is a new motor more reasonable? I'm starting to consider this bike done... and perhaps I should part it out instead?

Note: I do know the bike was put down before I took ownership. I'm wondering if during one of those falls, the crash bar tweaked on the frame/crankcase thus cracking the case with the bolt in it?

Any advice would be great,
    Nick

Skip that motor mount for now. You'll be fine without it. If you want to add case guards, make sure that having that mount attached won't cause the crack to spread into areas that do hold oil. It's hard to see from that picture which way it might go.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

What Dogma said, leave it out, it won't cause no evil.
      I have ridden GS's with the motor held in by will power, if the long front one is in and one of the back ones, the motor is going nowhere......trust me, I know.

Comment

Another 'don't worry' from me. About 25% of all the bikes I've had brought in over recent years have one or both of those mounts missing. People lose the egg shaped nuts and don't bother to replace them.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
        X