Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding a drive shaft.

Anyone ever done this?
    I want to replace the UJ in Jennifers drive shaft, but after looking at it, I am not sure if you can.
    It seems to have some wierd ass peening or pins or something holding it in, anyone know if it can be replaced or not?
    There is nothing wrong with it, but I would just like to replace it while I am doing everything else.

It appears to be done just like the Goldwings. Non-repairable/replaceable u-joints. You have to buy a whole new driveshaft if it blows up (a friend of mine has a '77 Wing and had it happen to him), I looked at the 'Wing driveshaft, read many microfiche, all they offered were buy another one (he found a good used one, nothing new out there).

Comment

I can't recall ever hearing about a U-joint failure.

I remember hearing about a few that broke the driveshaft or stripped the splines, but never a u-joint failure.

Re-install (with new bolts, or at least Loctite) and don't worry about it.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I've never examined one before (despite having removed one), but that does appear to be staked in. Replacing it would a mess even with access to a machine shop.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

There is nothing wrong with it,

If it aint broke don't fix it, or fix it till it is broke, which I have done often.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            I can't recall ever hearing about a U-joint failure.

I remember hearing about a few that broke the driveshaft or stripped the splines, but never a u-joint failure.

Re-install (with new bolts, or at least Loctite) and don't worry about it.
            Yep, my #1 son would be one of those on his 650.

He insisted that he wasn't racing or anything like that, but this was the result:

Had a u-joint failure (actually it was the yoke around it) on my Voyager 1300, but have not heard of one on a GS.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X