Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

starter locking up in my 1150, its on a second rebuild, time for new one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
    From what you describe 'starter motor spinning but engine not' sounds like your starter clutch has failed.
    is that inside the starter? or behind the alt cover?

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      The starter clutch is on the back side of the rotor under the stator cover. It's a pain to get off so really read up on it before doing any work there.
      ah! didnt see this, I will look into this...

Comment

Oh NO.

Originally posted by asbjones View Post
        is that inside the starter? or behind the alt cover?
        Behind the alternator cover and behind the alternator itself

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
          From what you describe 'starter motor spinning but engine not' sounds like your starter clutch has failed.
          Sure sounds like this- no fun! but lots of recent posts on here on how to attack rotor removal.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

so I put the starter back in and cracked the left side stator cover open and I can see the starter clutch, I hit the start button and see the small gear spinning and what looks like the starter clutch outer housing not spinning, so should I pull the cover completely off and check it up close? I saw in another thread something about small connector bolts might be broken, is this what happens sometimes? thanks guys!

Comment

Dive in! the smaller gear (an idler) gets turned by starter motor which turns a large gear on rotor- when all is well, this large gear thru the starter clutch turns the crankshaft. Yes, there some little parts in there that fail.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

something is sticking

so I got my 1150 ready to fire up again after dealing with no spark
                and low and behold Im back to dealing with my starter sticking and staying on...

pulled the ignition fuse and it still stays on

my starter button looks good inside, the spring looks good too

changed the solenoid to a brand new unit awhile back, swapped from the old one to the new and starter still sticks

looking at my diagram I see a starter interlock switch in my harness, Im going to try to locate it and check it out

I was even thinking of directly hooking the starter up to 12v and see if it sticks, but somewhere it keeps getting power to keep spinning

effing stumped again!

Comment

Is the starter solenoid hanging up and not releasing?
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

jump across the solenoid and if it cranks and stop when you stop jumping it then the problem is before the solenoid.
                    the interlock is the clutch lever switch..won't cause this.
                    also i believe the side stand switch is for the light only...no mechanical function.

on the other topic...
                    was your ignitor bad?
                    Last edited by blowerbike; 11-27-2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      also i believe the side stand switch is for the light only...no mechanical function.
                      Confirmed, or at least it's only ever operated the light on my bike.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        on the other topic...
                        was your igniter bad?
                        yes igniter got fried or crapped out...

Comment

Are you sure you are running an 1150 starter and idler gear? 1100s will not work.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            Are you sure you are running an 1150 starter and idler gear? 1100s will not work.
                            Yes, same parts that were always in there, ive put a few thousand miles on this bike since owned, always started easy, till one day the starter stuck

Comment

I did some checks today...

negative lead was off the battery because the starter was in a stuck position from last time I tried to start it

if I touch the negative lead to the battery it sparks and the starter spins

I disconnect the positive lead going to the starter from the solenoid relay, then reconnect the negative to the battery

hit the starter button and the relay clicks everytime I hit the button, I can now reconnect the negative to the battery and hit the starter button and the starter spins

if the bike does'nt start right away the starter makes a popping sound and shortly after the starter sticks on

I quickly disconnect the battery lead and it stops

Is the relay sticking on? or is the starter drawing to much power?

Comment

Originally posted by asbjones View Post
                                I did some checks today...

negative lead was off the battery because the starter was in a stuck position from last time I tried to start it

if I touch the negative lead to the battery it sparks and the starter spins

I disconnect the positive lead going to the starter from the solenoid relay, then reconnect the negative to the battery

hit the starter button and the relay clicks everytime I hit the button, I can now reconnect the negative to the battery and hit the starter button and the starter spins

if the bike does'nt start right away the starter makes a popping sound and shortly after the starter sticks on

I quickly disconnect the battery lead and it stops

Is the relay sticking on? or is the starter drawing to much power?
                                It has to be one of these
                                A short
                                Bad relay
                                Starter button
                                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                                X