no oil in glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no oil in glass?

So after running for a while I shut the bike off... let it settle and look in the sight glass... nothing. Bike is on the center stand and just filled with a full 4 quarts... what gives? The motor says 3400ml so I'm way over that.

Tip to the side to see how full it really is, four quarts should be past the window, maybe the new oil is so clear you can't see it?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You may have to tip the bike in both directions.

If it is over-full, tipping to the left will raise the window past the oil level.

If it is under-full, tipping to the right will raise the oil to the level of the glass.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Gotcha. Ill give that a go. No wheels on it right now, so itll have to wait.

Comment

And, after shut off I've found it takes a few minutes or more for the oil to make its way back down from various places to show in the window. Don't fill it any more before you let it sit a bit, or you'll over-fill.

Comment

If mine is at the full mark cold, it will show "high", ie, above the window when it's hot.
            1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Four quarts is too much. Most likely over filled, or you are not parked on level ground - bike needs to be on center stand before you check the oil level.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Post 4..no wheels on it right now. So lift the rear too high and all the oil runs frontward and you see nothing...back too low and all the oil runs rearward and shows too full. I would suggest you get the wheels on it and setting at the proper front to back geometry to check it. But 4 Qts is maybe 1/2 quart too full which isnt a catastrophy by any means. Let it be till you can sit it up the right way.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yeah... to be frank, the motor was completely drained as in no side covers, filter cover, or cam cover and flipped completely upside down. So knowing that I dont think I'm too far off.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMotor View Post
                    Yeah... to be frank, the motor was completely drained as in no side covers, filter cover, or cam cover and flipped completely upside down. So knowing that I dont think I'm too far off.
                    The 3400 ml is full from a bone dry dead empty motor from the factory, so 4 qts your over full.
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

3.6 quarts is what 3400ML converts to. 4 quarts is just over 3700.. 4 quarts is a bit high like has been said..by about 6 ounces or so..not a real problem i wouldnt think.
                      Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                        The 3400 ml is full from a bone dry dead empty motor from the factory, so 4 qts your over full.
                        Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        3.6 quarts is what 3400ML converts to. 4 quarts is just over 3700.. 4 quarts is a bit high like has been said..by about 6 ounces or so..not a real problem i wouldnt think.

My Clymer manual says after a full rebuild (which I would expect to mean bone dry) you will need to fill with 4.2 quarts.

Anyhoo... I did install my rear wheel and pull it back and then sat it forward on a jack-stand (forks are being rebuilt) and the oil did fill the glass.. It's to the full line.

My fault for not having common sense here... haha.

On a side note... my oil light is still MIA. Checked the ground, checked the bulb... they're all good. The light never came on bone dry and still not when it's completely full. So, I'm at a loss.

Comment

Working...
                        X