what have i done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what have i done?

Hi guys. I've nearly just finished my GS850 cafe racer. I've done very little with it mechanically (it seemed tun ok when i brought it - gears were all obtainable). Since the last time gears were obtainable all i've done is polish the cast that the lever shaft passes through.the I also took off the clutch cover to polish it. I put it back initially without engaging the pinion so did it a second time. My problem is that the gear lever is stuck solid and i cannot get it out of neutral! I've rocked it back and forth. I got the motor running. Nothing seems to tempt the lever of neutral and there's no play in the lever at all. Any thoughts as to what i might of done?
    QM

my guess is that you slid the shift shaft and moved it out of position behind the clutch hub and now its bound. If so, its a simple fix, after you remove the clutch hub. Just a guess though...

Comment

Sounds feasible?If that is all u did,then that is where to check first.

Comment

I'd guess you got the clutch lever arm position wrong, so your clutch ain't disengaging enough when you pull it in.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          I'd guess you got the clutch lever arm position wrong, so your clutch ain't disengaging enough when you pull it in.

Yes, now i like that thought as i know did tamper with that. When i took the case on and off it didn't engage initially (little or no tension on the lever). Consequently when i refitted it I pulled the lever out so it might better engage, How should i fit it right?

Comment

Originally posted by tom203
            Loosen bolt that holds clutch lever arm onto the spline shaft that sticks vertically out of clutch cover- reposition arm on spline so that when you push arm with hand there is almost no play/movement before you feel resistance from clutch itself. The cable has to have just enough slack to allow this "starting" spot- as you pull clutch lever in this slack is taken up and the clutch starts to disengage. On my 650 the lever arm looks about like pic at "starting spot"- I think the 850 would point more to front
            Tom203, i'm very greattful for the advice (and picture) - going to try it at the weekend.
            QM

Comment

Mmmm

Well, done some more tampering. Decided to push and pull the gear lever shaft. Seems to have a bit more play in it. Also took the clutch lever off the splined shaft. splined shaft has quite a bit of play in it side to side. This is as much play as the lever has travel. Consequently I turned the splined shaft so anti clockwise (toward the bike rather than away) and put the lever back on it. Still wont come ou of neutral!

Comment

It's time to remove the clutch hub and see what's going on....
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

One other possibility: did you use a proper OEM gasket when you reinstalled the clutch cover?

Most cheeseball aftermarket gaskets are way too thin. There's a projection on the inside of the clutch cover that keeps the shifter shaft in place, and imitation gaskets will cause it to bind and pretty much keep the shifter shaft from moving at all.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

its off!

Have taken the clutch cover off. The shaft, fork and spring are not where they should be. Spring is off and fork is jammed under the connecting fork. I've gone round to the gear lever side and pushed the shaft in and realigned it. All looks good. My issue now (and maybe my paranoia) is seating the pegs into the back of the clutch hub. I've spent a good hour trying to line it up. I think they are in and if i try to turn the oil pump gear there's just the tiniest of movement where i think the pegs sit into the keyway. Is there anyway of checking it's all in ok without blowing it up a mile down the road?

Still not sure why the shaft had come off? Gasket is a new one (pattern). All i can think is when i took off the cover to polish it i must od disturbed the shaft somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by queenmonkey View Post
                      I think they are in and if i try to turn the oil pump gear there's just the tiniest of movement where i think the pegs sit into the keyway. Is there anyway of checking it's all in ok without blowing it up a mile down the road?
                      If the oil pump is not engaged, it's probable the oil pressure light not will go off when you start the engine.
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

noise

Well i put the clutch hub on and before i put the plates back on i decided to turn the hub on the shaft - slight metalic noise. I took the hub off and turned the shaft - still slight noise when you turn it either way. Now taken the primary cluch gear off and thought it might be oil pump gear against the other gear? No. it's not because i took the small gear off (that connects to the oil pump gear). Moved the shaft and it still makes the noise. Thought it might be the bearing where the shaft goes into the housing or something beyond it. Is this right? Should i be putting some grease on the bearing?

QM

Comment

Originally posted by queenmonkey View Post
                          Well i put the clutch hub on and before i put the plates back on i decided to turn the hub on the shaft - slight metalic noise. I took the hub off and turned the shaft - still slight noise when you turn it either way. Now taken the primary cluch gear off and thought it might be oil pump gear against the other gear? No. it's not because i took the small gear off (that connects to the oil pump gear). Moved the shaft and it still makes the noise. Thought it might be the bearing where the shaft goes into the housing or something beyond it. Is this right? Should i be putting some grease on the bearing?

QM
                          Hmmm, noise eh? There's going to be some noise because you've got the cover off, that's just the gears going around.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in shortly....
                          -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                            Hmmm, noise eh? There's going to be some noise because you've got the cover off, that's just the gears going around.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in shortly....
                            Thanks Mal, the other thing that did occur to me is that's there's no oil in the box so this might account for something? Going to put it all back all the same.
                            QM

Comment

Working...
                            X