1982 gs550 crank rotor bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs550 crank rotor bolt

Does anyone know what the correct bolt is that goes into the crank and holds the ignition rotor on?

The part number is:
    01500-0865B

So it looks like you need a high-grade 8mm bolt that's 65mm long. Although sometimes the part numbers don't tell the full tale, so it might be a good idea to get confirmation on that from a 550 owner.

65mm is not a standard length, so your best and cheapest bet would be to just order one from your favorite purveyor of Suzuki parts (probably a local dealer, if you're just getting one part).

I would not cut down a 70mm bolt -- you very well may need the extra threads.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

well i used a 8mm 1.25 standard pitch bolt but it doesnt really want to thread, i think the previous owner had tryed shoving a 5/16 in it and effed up the threads, im guessing i may have to tap it out...

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      The part number is:
      01500-0865B

So it looks like you need a high-grade 8mm bolt that's 65mm long. Although sometimes the part numbers don't tell the full tale, so it might be a good idea to get confirmation on that from a 550 owner.

65mm is not a standard length, so your best and cheapest bet would be to just order one from your favorite purveyor of Suzuki parts (probably a local dealer, if you're just getting one part).

I would not cut down a 70mm bolt -- you very well may need the extra threads.

Comment

Eeewwww. Damn POs...

Use a VERY high quality US-made tap, lots of lube, and be extra gentle (that's what SHE said, har har har...).

You do NOT want a broken tap embedded in your crankshaft.

Some of what you feel may just be old Loctite, too.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

at work i have a nice Snap On standard tap and die set , i thought of just going to 5/16 - 18 thread if i have to go this route

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Eeewwww. Damn POs...

Use a VERY high quality US-made tap, lots of lube, and be extra gentle (that's what SHE said, har har har...).

You do NOT want a broken tap embedded in your crankshaft.

Some of what you feel may just be old Loctite, too.

Comment

Working...
          X