Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 82 Gs850GLZ top end gasket kit fit 79 850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will 82 Gs850GLZ top end gasket kit fit 79 850?

Will the 82 GS 850 GLZ top end gasket kit fit my 79 850 top end minus the valve cover gasket? Should the valve oil seals be the same to?

There is an OEM kit on eBay for a good price and wanted to ask those who would know more if I could use this. I am using the Real Gasket for my valve cover and breather cover gasket so I wouldn't need those gaskets.
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

I believe the only difference is the part where the larger carburetors attach, port size, intake boots, O rings, etc. All of the working parts should be the same.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Gaskets will be the same except the valve cover gasket and clutch cover gasket. The intake o-rings are also different -- not sure they are included in that kit.

However, some early examples of the 82 GS850GL had 16 bolt valve covers. The kit will probably have the later-style 19 bolt valve cover gasket.
      Last edited by bwringer; 06-03-2013, 03:18 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Gaskets will be the same except the valve cover gasket and clutch cover gasket. The intake o-rings are also different -- not sure they are included in that kit.

However, some early examples of the 82 GS850GL had 16 bolt valve covers. The kit will probably have the later-style 19 bolt valve cover gasket.
        Thanks Brian! I don't need the valve cover or clutch cover gaskets and will probably order intake O-rings from cycle-o-rings anyways.

On to eBay now.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Todd, So did you buy that set?
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
          X