Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are my timing marks in the correct spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are my timing marks in the correct spot?

As I hadn't received an answer in my project thread yet, I figured I'd post my question here as well. I rotated my pistons so that 1 and 4 looked to be at TDC as recommended to me before. Although I think it's right, are these timing marks in the correct location?

And the pistons:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

The 1,4 pistons are in the correct position. The mark of the T| lines up with the left edge of the head of the phillips head bolt directly above on the breaker plate. I know this because my 1150 did not have a time mark on the engine case.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thank you Earl, I'll adjust it later this week before putting my cams in.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Thank you Earl, I'll adjust it later this week before putting my cams in.
        Don't know if you already know.......... install the exhaust cam first so there is no slack in the cam chain at the front of the engine. You want all the cam chain slack at the rear, so that when you install the tensioner, it takes up the slack. If you already knew, pay me no attention. heheh

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

No I didn't but I will make sure I open this thread before doing it. Thank you again.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I would open a service manual instead.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have had both open on the laptop when doing the work as long as I remember to bring it

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Found the timing mark

After reading what Earl said here, talking with Steve, and reading through my service manual a couple of times, I felt I was missing a piece to this puzzle and needed to find it. I decided to remove the plate for the signal generator and look for the timing mark behind it. Unfortunately I did not see it on anything and felt that was strange. I then looked down at the signal generator plate and noticed what I thought was first a scratch. It turned out to be the timing mark and in the basic spot of where Earl said it would be. The funny thing is, the top mounting screwhead completely covers it so how is anyone supposed to know where to look when they check their timing? Strange Suzuki.

Here's the mark I'm referring to and you can see it's lined up. Shortly after taking this picture however, I realized I had the mounting hole slightly too far to the left. I readjusted it where it was supposed to be and then rechecked my timing.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Good gravy, that is rather... subtle.

Sometimes I think Suzuki has a bunch of brilliant engineers... and one or two who barely managed to graduate. I think the same doof has been in charge of wiring harness design for at least 40 years -- he really needs to hurry up and retire.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    After reading what Earl said here, talking with Steve, and reading through my service manual a couple of times, I felt I was missing a piece to this puzzle and needed to find it. I decided to remove the plate for the signal generator and look for the timing mark behind it. Unfortunately I did not see it on anything and felt that was strange. I then looked down at the signal generator plate and noticed what I thought was first a scratch. It turned out to be the timing mark and in the basic spot of where Earl said it would be. The funny thing is, the top mounting screwhead completely covers it so how is anyone supposed to know where to look when they check their timing? Strange Suzuki.

Here's the mark I'm referring to and you can see it's lined up. Shortly after taking this picture however, I realized I had the mounting hole slightly too far to the left. I readjusted it where it was supposed to be and then rechecked my timing.
                    Didn't believe me huh? Just razzing ya. hehe

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                      Didn't believe me huh? Just razzing ya. hehe

Ummm nope...

Thanks though, I appreciated the advice and it even got Steve to thinking about it

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                      X