Cylinder head gaskets original Vs MLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder head gaskets original Vs MLS

I have a 1982 GS750EZ, with about 75k km (~48K miles) on it. I removed the cylinder head to cure a minor oil leak from the outside forward edge of the #4 cylinder. The gasket I removed (believed to to be original build) with a fibrous absbestos type of gasket. The Genuine Suzuki replacement was the new MLS type. I fitted the gasket, but was not able to get the engine to run (it would pop & fire , but not catch). As a result I performed a compression check which was down to 40 psi on the outer cylinders. When I added oil to check for ring issues, I observed an increased pressure but more importantly I could see oil vapour balsting horizontally from between the head & block adjacent to the #4 cylinders, so clearly the new gasket was not sealing. I rechecked my cylinder head torques, all were good & had not backed off. I have since removed the head & suspecting warpage, checked diametrically across the head with a decent (cast & machined) level to check for rudimetary flatness. With this method I could not get bigger than a .004" feeler anywhere between the level & the head, which according to my Clymer manual is acceptable. I plan to get a professional flatness check at a machine shop.

My questions:
    1.) Has anyone else experienced anything similar ? If so what was the remedy?
    2.) Does anyone know of a gasket supplier that still makes the "old fashioned" type of cylinder head gaskets?
    3.) Any other recommendations?

I checked the previous threads for head gaskets, but nothing seemed to exactly match my situation. One referred to head & block surface finish. I can confirm, that I removed all traces of the original gasket from both the block & the head.

Would appreciate any thoughts & experience the the Resources have

What is MLS and did you find an answer? I recently bought a NOS head gasket from the UK. They seem to have a lot of NOS parts over there for some reason.
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

MLS is multi layered steel head gasket instead of a composite type
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Maybe the alignment dowels were not nesting together properly? If the head and cylinder is flat, there is no reason to not get a good seal.

MLS is fine. Suzuki wouldn't have moved to them if they were problematic. Best to check all the details and try again.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hey Crashman,

I completed an overhaul on my 850 in June and used an OEM MLS head gasket too. My compression is as new but I did have a leak, or actually a seep from the front outside stud on both sides. I re-torqued the head to factory specs and it didn't cure the problem, on the advise of trusted mech I torqued them down to 35 ft lbs and no more seepers.

The MLS gasket isn't as forgiving as the Asbestos type to imperfections on the surface of the cylinder and head. You might want to look at having both resurfaced at a machine shop, not enough to make much of a change in the compression but just enough to get a clean surface.

Good luck

Comment

A MLS gasket is a 2 or 3 piece gasket made of steel Multi Layer Steel and requires a finer finish than a fiber gasket so when you mill the head and deck the cylinders you need to tell the machinest what type of finish to put on them either one will work but the fiber uses a ruffer finish is more forgiving on a less than flat surface the MLS gasket needs an absolutely flat surface but can holds more compression.

whenever you take your top end off you must check for flatness on both head and cylinder if the are out any deck them just enough to make them flat what ever you take off to make them flat add to the base gasket and it will be back to where it was. But if it is just a little then leave it and be happy with the extra power

Cometic will make you any head or base gasket in any thickness
            Last edited by stetracer; 08-31-2013, 05:22 PM.
            My stable
            84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
            85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
            88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
            98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
            90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
            06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
            00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Another thing that will help prevent leaks is using Gasgacinch on MLS gaskets. I have no leaks doing them that way. Ray.

Comment

Working...
              X