Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-joint Bolts

Hi everyone!

On labor Day I thought I may have the dreaded bevel drive failure on my 81 GS850L. I heard metallic noises with and occasional bang I could feel in the pegs and seat. I started to investigate only to have one of the u-joint bolts fall out of the boot when I peeled it back. It must have been flailing around in there and get caught up once and a while. Other than a very small amount of metal debris in the boot, everything else looks fine.

So I need a new bolt to replace the one that got a bit mauled up. I noticed it has a shoulder by the head. Is this a necessary feature or will a bolt which is fully threaded work? The other three are in good shape so I will be removing them and putting some Loctite on them.

Thanks'

Josh

I'd get four new bolts from suzuki - the shoulder is likely there to position it securely. make sure you use loctite
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Red or blue?

Josh

Comment

Blue Loc-tite only.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good. That's what I use and that's what I have.

Josh

Comment

The new bolts from Suzuki should come with a coating of thread locker. It sort of looks like thick pink paint.

These bolts are high grade and an oddball length (and yes, the 12mm flange head is important), so there aren't really any substitutes. If you're in a rush, post a plea in the "parts wanted" forum and someone will probably have a few extras they can send you.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X