Broke my 2nd clutch cable in a month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke my 2nd clutch cable in a month

A few weeks ago, I had to replace my clutch cable on the road, when it broke at the barrel, coming out of the lever.
    I figured that it was a 30 year old cable & was just worn out. Actually, I was angry with myself for not replacing it as part of the refirb maintenance I did to get the bike roadworthy.
    Well, out tonight for a short ride after I spent the last two days working on my forks, replacing seals, adjusting head bearings, getting front wheel balanced, etc., & the new clutch cable started to let got right at the barrel also! Enough of the cable was still holding together, that I got home by only pulling the clutch in about half way. That way, I wasn't overstressing the cable & breaking the cable the rest of the way.
    I haven't pulled the lever off or looked at the cable closely, but I am thinking that the barrel end is binding in the level & eventually breaking from the bending fatigue right at the barrel.
    My bike is an '82 1100GK, & the clutch lever force is light enough that I believe the clutch springs are just OEM, not any HD's.
    Any other thoughts on why I would be breaking cables?

I would agree with your assessment of the barrel "binding".
    Maybe some rough spot in the lever where the barrell is suppose to turn.
    Or maybe just needs to be lubricated.

Last edited by Redman; 09-17-2013, 09:10 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That's my thought too! I should have done a better job when I replaced the 1st cable. The next one will be well greased before going into the lever. However, I did change it on the road & didn't have any grease with me. I should have gone over it when I was home. Live & learn.

Comment

Was it an OEM cable ? Not sure on replacements but my clutch cable has a insert on the ball end to let the cable rotate easy

Comment

Must be National Clutch Cable Week - mine has gone at the other end - clean pull out. I do remember the oem cables for the Z had a 1 mm thick insert of teflon or similar around the 'ball'
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

It was a Motion Pro cable. I'll check out the OEM cable on BIike Bandit to see how Suzuki does it. Thx

Comment

Replace the clutch lever with a new OEM lever.

The hole has likely gotten egg-shaped, which doesn't allow the barrel to rotate as the lever is pulled.

Don't bother with aftermarket levers -- they're garbage that will wear out quickly. OEM Suzuki levers cost the same or only slightly more and will last much longer.

Same goes for cables -- OEM cables are much better quality. The Motion Pro cables will do in a pinch, but the Parts Unlimited brand is pure junk.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Did a search on cable lubing & it confirmed that I want a Suzuki OEM cable & lever. BikeBandit will have some business from me today.

Comment

My 2nd cable broke a little over a year ago (recycled) and that replacement (also recycled) broke 2 weeks ago. I'm now on my first new cable, a motion pro that I carried in my saddlebags just for the inevitable cable break. I replaced that cable on the road too. Funny thing is, my 850 still has the original clutch cable that I've put 75, 000 miles on, I've only put about 20,000 miles on my 1100G since I bought it.

Comment

Besides all the stuff mentioned above, it's also possible that your lever might have a sharp edge that is catching the cable and cutting it. Nice that you will be getting new parts, but you should also check the edges of the cable slot to make sure they are not sharp.

By the way, why do you insist on wasting your money?
                    Originally posted by LarryJ View Post
                    Did a search on cable lubing & it confirmed that I want a Suzuki OEM cable & lever. BikeBandit will have some business from me today.
                    From Bike Bandit:
                    Lever: $19.88 (they claim 'retail' of $21.87)
                    Cable: $22.94 (they claim 'retail' of $25.23)

From Boulevard Suzuki:
                    Lever: $16.56 (they claim 'retail of $19.88)
                    Cable: $19.11 (they claim 'retail of $22.94)

With this little shopping trip, you would save $7.15, which will probably pay for the shipping.
                    Do a lot more shopping, your savings will continue to add up.

Did you note how the BANDIT inflated the 'retail' price to make it look like you are getting a good deal?
                    Not every site has retail prices for comparison, but all the others that do show it, show the same price as Boulevard, so I don't think that they are the problem.
                    By the way, the only other vendor that is more expensive than the BANDIT is Alpha Sports. They don't just charge retail, it's more like "retail plus 10%" (or more).

Add in the fact that the BANDIT uses their own goofy part numbers, I'm not sure why they are still around.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did put the new OEM clutch cable on this morning. What a difference! OEM is nylon lined & does have a polimer bushing on the barrel end for smooth, easy action. I'll bet my clutch takes 30-40% less effort, & I'll bet this cable lasts & lasts ( at least while I carry a spare in the saddlebag)!

Comment

Dab of grease on the barrels make them last longer too...think someone else mentioned that too.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Just fitted a Slinky Glide replacement for 1/3 cost of oem so I have two notional spares in my bag
                          It has an insert at the top barrel and serious looking crimp on the bottom end. Time will tell.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous

Comment

Haven't heard of Slinky Glide, are they known to be a quality outfit? Do they have distributors across the pond?
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Slinky Glide produces motorcycle control cables, bearing kits headrace and fork rebuild kits. Models covered Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha

There you go. Hadn't heard of them either - time will tell.

Just noticed you got to sign up for WMD to be a supplier ?!
                              Last edited by Brendan W; 09-25-2013, 02:41 PM.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous

Comment

Working...
                              X