no moly paste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no moly paste

hi. engine is out head off everything cleaned propeller shaft replacement ready to go in. time to put it all back together.
    the book says to apply moly paste to the valve stems and cam lobes and also on drive shaft splines. I am struggling finding moly paste. I have red line assembly lube, liplex ep2 grease, molybond 2.5 which is an oil additive and no idea. any suggestions? thanks

dont know about the shaft splines but as far as the head goes, a liberal amount of oil will be ok on assembly
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I am hesitant to use anything "moly" inside an engine with a wet clutch (even though that's what is called for in the manual), but for the drive splines, you need a very high moly content, not what most "moly" lubes contain. For the drive splines, use Honda Moly 60 paste. It comes in a mini-size cartridge for your smaller grease gun, but no gun is needed. Just like the old-time hair treatment, "a little dab will do ya". That cartridge will cost you about $12.

Just for your information, a lubricant can contain as little as 2% molybdenum disulphide to be called a "moly" lube, but the Honda paste contains 60%, which works fantastically.

If you only have one or two shaft-driven bikes, and re-lube your drive splines every time you change your rear tire (that's all it needs), that one little cartridge will last the rest of your life and can be willed to your heirs. On the other hand, if, like me, you have FIVE shaft-driven bikes and also work on others, you might actually need to buy a replacement. After being out of motorcycling for several years, I bought a tube of Moly 60 in 2001. I am now in my third tube, but only because I gave one of the tubes away weveral years ago.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Grease with EP90 mixed is what I've used in the past, it is just thickened up to ensure there is lube on initial start up and hasn't drained away in the time it takes to finish the assembly.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Inside the engine, any decent assembly lube will be fine.

If you're re-assembling used parts, engine oil is fine
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Any of the motorcycle parts departments should sell it. I got a tube when I ordered the rest of my parts from Partzilla. A tube last a long time. I used it where ever it was called for in the service manual. Heavy weight oil and/or assembly lube is good also for engine assembly.

Comment

Haha, I think I used marine grease for my spline years back, because that's all I had laying around.

Comment

Working...
              X