No announcement yet.

helicoils came out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just looking, Cliff will have it on his welcome link Basscliffe His tutorials are really easy to follow.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by luvnwunderwoman View Post
      No I need to read up on that procedure. Will I need a timing light ? This bike is getting beyond my mechanical knowledge and I need to learn a few new things. Can't find anyone local who cares as much as me, they all seem to be incompetent rip offs, so I need to learn to work on the old Japanese bikes myself. I thank you for your input.
      Nick
      Fixed it a little bit.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You'll find it here, I was looking for the exact page but internet is very slow here.

sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Well put, I can take constructive criticism

Comment

Originally posted by luvnwunderwoman View Post
            Well put, I can take constructive criticism
            No really, the internet is very slow here, or I'd'v found the exact page, but it's there.
            sigpic

Comment

In the service manual on bikecliff's site is the procedure to check the timing advance (page 420). It does not give any procedure to follow if the timing advance is not correct. When I put the cam shaft back in I was careful to follow the procedure for timing (page 70). I assume ignition timing (page 85-86) does not apply to my bike as it does not have points. Page 417 states ignition timing is maintained properly at all times and requires no maintenance. If I go out and buy a timing light and find the advance does not work properly what am I to do ?
              I thank all for your response,
              Nick

Comment

Are you sure you are looking at the Cam timing or Valve timing? not to be confused with ignition timing.
                Behind the points cover there is a hole about 3/4"-19mm and through that you will see as you rotate the crank with your 19mm spanner some marks and the one you are looking for is 1-4 TDC you want that lined up exactly on the small line on the back plate, (not the 2-3) this now is the start point of the timing, you should now see I (think on the EXhaust cam sprocket two marks, (If you don't then rotate the crank exactly one full rotation back to the TDC mark and you will see them come up, the first cam lobe you can see at the points end will point exactly forwards and you should see on the cam sprocket a line, this should lay parallel with the cylinder head where the cam cover sits, the second timing mark is the one you are familiar with and should point straight up Perpendicular to the head and you count off the twenty pins including the first on the mark that will give you the position for the INlet mark, again, perpendicular to the head and including the twentieth pin. The lobe you see on this cam will be pointing exactly rearwards taking into account the tilt of the head.
                (Points end is just the right hand side and is the same for electronic ignition)
                sigpic

Comment

Tatu thank you for your reply. That is the procedure I followed when setting cam timing. I will pull the valve cover back off and check it again. Tired of fooling with it right now.
                  Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas,
                  Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X