Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam cover end caps

Hello,
    I'm trying to figure out how to remove the chrome covers on the ends of the cam towers on my GS650GL. They do have slots along the lower 1/3 of the edge of the cover, and i can see screws up in there, but there is no possible way I can see to get to those screws. Thanks.

......"but there is no possible way I can see to get to those screws. Thanks. "

They're on tight - that's why they didn't fall off and litter the countryside (like mine). are they socket head screws?? put tool thru slot, engage head, etc.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      ......"but there is no possible way I can see to get to those screws. Thanks. "

They're on tight - that's why they didn't fall off and litter the countryside (like mine). are they socket head screws?? put tool thru slot, engage head, etc.
      No, they are Phillips head screws, but they are at such an angle that you cant get a screwdriver on them. They are up inside the covers.

Comment

I believe that you must remove the cam cover first in order to get to those screws on a 650. Good opportunity to check your valve clearances.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          I believe that you must remove the cam cover first in order to get to those screws on a 650. Good opportunity to check your valve clearances.
          What he said. Once you take the cam cover off you can get to the screws. And while the cover is off check the shims etc.

Comment

I went through the same thing with my GS650G.. once the valve ccover is removed, these are a breeze to remove.. there was no other way to do it.. While the cover is removed, it's a good time to check valve clearances.. (its like gospel often strongly recommended here, with good reason)

Cheers

Comment

I was afraid of that. Thing is, it just had the cam cover off, and I'm fairly certain the valve adjustment checked. Oh well...I guess I'll live with them for now. Thanks guys!

Comment

Don't forget to Loctite the screws when you put the end caps on. If you don't the screws will vibrate loose and the end cap will disappear. Don't ask me how I know this.

Jim
                1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

Originally posted by GSJim View Post
                  Don't forget to Loctite the screws when you put the end caps on. If you don't the screws will vibrate loose and the end cap will disappear. Don't ask me how I know this.Jim
                  Thanks for this.. Learning from other's mistakes when you're sick and tired of making your own mistakes I have the valve cover on the engine right now as well but it's not tightened down yet (more of a dust cover while working on the engine) I have a note attached to the valve cover to install those side covers before torquing it down lol.. just added "Loctite" to the note

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by 650cafe View Post
                    Thing is, it just had the cam cover off, and I'm fairly certain the valve adjustment checked.
                    If you're "fairly certain" the valves adjustment has been checked, then you don't know for sure and I would do it again just to make sure it's all OK.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Well this thread is about removing the cam cover caps, not adjusting the valves

Comment

1/4 inch ratchet wrench with a screw driver bit in it.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          1/4 inch ratchet wrench with a screw driver bit in it.
                          Might work on a bigger bike, but didn't work on my little wee GS650G.. flex drive, articulated bit, midnight dances around the fire.. nothing.. well the last one got the cops out in a hurry.. go figure..

Comment

Originally posted by Seaking View Post
                            Might work on a bigger bike, but didn't work on my little wee GS650G.. flex drive, articulated bit, midnight dances around the fire.. nothing.. well the last one got the cops out in a hurry.. go figure..
                            Yes, I tried this too. They are at a riduculous angle. Its not that important...I was just curious if there was something going on there that I wasnt seeing.

As for the valves, I'll get them them when I get to them....the question in this thread has nothing to do with the valves, their adjustment, or inspection of them. Thank you to everyone who has provided relevant information.

Comment

Did you try blowing some torch heat up there to soften the loctite? Confirm they are metal covers though. Ive seen plastic after market replacements before. Guy on Ebay recently had replacement plastic chrome VM 26 tops too.

EDIT...Maybe this wouldnt be a good idea..I forgot the rubber cam end caps are right there.....
                              Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-14-2013, 08:53 PM.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X